• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

cant find replacement motor mount

hourang

CEG'er
So im trying to fix my motor shaking problem. car info in sig. looks like i need the passenger side motor mount. was able to find that on rockauto no problem for like $48. now i checked the front mount by the radiator and it looks good but i have a replacement for that i might swap out anyway. the trans mount by the air cleaner looks good. the rear trans mount next to the flex pipe (which i need to replace), i cannot find a replacement for this. i took a pic of it:

countourmotormount.jpg

this is a M/T car. the rubber was pretty flimsy and i could lift the trans by hand a little with it attached so im pretty sure its bad. not sure if this is my main problem, im thinking the majority of the issue could be the motor mount by the coolant tank. is this a dealer only item? or even a junk yard only item? is there any way to fill the empty space with like polyurathane or something? here is the only thing i can find on rockauto that is even close to it but im pretty sure this is the trans mount by the air intake:

contourtransmountrockauto.jpg

im not sure if i even want to waste my time with it. i mean it may not hold it in the best, but im thinking that the passenger motor mount is worse and that might fix the problem. its shaking front to back when i first engage the clutch and i can rock the motor by hand back to front. i just wasnt sure if the motor mount on top really affects front to back movement, i dont want to spend $50 and still have it be this mount that i cannot find anywhere. sorry for the long post. please help.

You likely wont find a replacement rear mount like you have pictured. You certainly could fill the gaps with poly and let it cure for a week if you have the time to wait. I just swapped in my poly filled (a later version one) mount over the weekend and it stiffened everything right back up. I do have the old one if you'd like a replacement piece thats the newer version.

You likely wont find a replacement rear mount like you have pictured. You certainly could fill the gaps with poly and let it cure for a week if you have the time to wait. I just swapped in my poly filled (a later version one) mount over the weekend and it stiffened everything right back up. I do have the old one if you'd like a replacement piece thats the newer version.

ok cool. i researched the poly filled mounts more. is the extra one you have in good condition? how much shipped? pm me. im wondering if i should just put some extra rubber in the cracks and fill the rest in with some of that cheap 3m window stuff. i may be selling the car in the near future and i just want to do something to stop the movement without spending a bunch of time and money. it looks like the newer style is a better design.

as far as the passenger motor mount, can i just leave it? it looks like it sunk all the way down and is bad but does it effect the front to back movement of the motor or is it just for vertical support? the motor is not resting on the subframe at all, seems like it has plenty of space.

The side mounts are there only to hold the engine up so the front/back rocking you're experiencing is because of that rear mount sagging. Its very easy to make sure the bolt hole is centered and then squeeze a tube of poly in there to make sure it stays centered when you reinstall it and the tranny puts some weight on it.

When i replaced mine i went to advance auto and got an insert that looked like a t and i hammered out the old rubber and hammered in the new rubber. Mounted it back , pretty easy for 20 bucks..

I was talking about the rear.. That was the first thing i replaced.. it looked like the same as mine.. maybe theres something i dont know.

The mount he has the pic on in the first post.. same exact one.. i had to go through 3 stores to figure it out.. rear mount is the one i replaced.. goes from trans to subframe right?

The mount he has the pic on in the first post.. same exact one.. i had to go through 3 stores to figure it out.. rear mount is the one i replaced.. goes from trans to subframe right?

hrm if you could get some pics of the insert that would be great. how did you get the old one out?

I cant get pics cause im on a cell phone.. but u hammer out the rubber/white ring..and the insert looks like a t that will fit in the center of the mount.. advance auto has them.. when u look at it first, it looks like it wont work but it will..

It is really very simple to do, once you get it out and see it, you won't have any problems.

i already have mine out its pictured in the first post. he said you can get a replacement insert for the rear and i wanted a picture of this insert cuz i have yet to see it at any stores ive been to. anyway, im getting a used good condition one off of todras. thanks man.

i already have mine out its pictured in the first post. he said you can get a replacement insert for the rear and i wanted a picture of this insert cuz i have yet to see it at any stores ive been to. anyway, im getting a used good condition one off of todras. thanks man.

No none for the rear, and Todras is a good guy.

I saw someplace a set of poly inserts for that one you pictured. They go in from either side and fill the voids.(i think)

No none for the rear, and Todras is a good guy.

I saw someplace a set of poly inserts for that one you pictured. They go in from either side and fill the voids.(i think)

i know thats what i thought too but tk95contour is saying there is replacement inserts for the rear one and he has done it himself, thats why i asked for pics.

Back