• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Can you run Nitrous without a Chip?

Tourige

CEG's Resident Jackass
Just wondering, Id like to get a PRP and Xcal2 later on when i have the cash. But ill be running nitrous on the car(2003 Cobra) Just wondering if it works, My guess is no. Im currently using a Diablo Chip with a Flip chip.

Running nitrous on a boosted car (2003 Cobra) without tuning for it. Not if you're smart anyway. ;)

If you mean the SVT then remove the chip first. Also keep the shot to 75HP or below. I'd start smaller and work up. If your 99 is returnless I'd start much smaller. You are injector limited.

Last edited:
Haha, i think your reading me wrong. I already have the nitrous on my car, its been chipped by a Diablo Chip. Im running a 75 Shot.

Im just wondering if the PRP/XCAL2 TUNERS have the ability to run nitrous, that is; i can run nitrous with just the TUNER and not a flip chip.

Im just wondering if the PRP/XCAL2 TUNERS have the ability to run nitrous, that is; i can run nitrous with just the TUNER and not a flip chip.

The PRP is the software that actually allows the end user to make changes to your existing tune(stock tune). The PRP is the device that holds the tune, and uploads them to your PCM. The Xcal2 can hold up to 3 tunes. The Xcal2 + PRP is an awesome package if you know how to use it.

Mark

How can i change the tune? Do i just load it up when i want to run nitrous? Or can i do it real time?

Edit: Just checked the SCT website and i see they offer a "Chip" Package, but i would still much rather have the Tuner Tool.

Last edited:
Yes, what Demon was saying!

I personally had no issues running my 75 wetshot in arizona in the summer on the stock car/tune. Mega power and mega fun for $500-600

I have the PRP now...but i ran a 75 shot for about 20 bottles worth without it...without narry a problem :)

i dont have a tune on my car period. tons of people have run nitrous on stock timing, just 1 step colder plugs. just make sure you dont have an aftermarket supercharger with the rubber on the insides, they get eaten up. i'd ask the cobra guys about it on svtperformance.com

i dont have a tune on my car period. tons of people have run nitrous on stock timing, just 1 step colder plugs. just make sure you dont have an aftermarket supercharger with the rubber on the insides, they get eaten up. i'd ask the cobra guys about it on svtperformance.com

Rubber on the inside? What are you talking about. Dont think i've ever heard about that.

Dosent really matter, Plan on going KB later on.

How can i change the tune? Do i just load it up when i want to run nitrous? Or can i do it real time?

The Xcal2 takes about a minute to upload a new tune to your PCM. If you have an organized race, it's no problem to upload the tune and go run. If you're just cruising around and want to be ready for spray, just run your nitrous tune the whole time. That's what I did, and the performance with the nitrous tune wasn't a night and day difference or anything, from the N/A tune.

Mark

yeah i cant remember exactly what one it is, i think its the whipple that has rubber on the twin screws inside it or something of the sort, check out svtperformance.com there is lots of talk about it. certain blowers cannot have wet foggers on them....

yeah i cant remember exactly what one it is, i think its the whipple that has rubber on the twin screws inside it or something of the sort, check out svtperformance.com there is lots of talk about it. certain blowers cannot have wet foggers on them....

I thought you were talking about the stock eatons. I know neither the Eaton or the KB have Rubber on the screws.

I know a bunch of people run 75-150 shots on their Ported Eatons :crazy: :drool:

Some positive displacement blowers have teflon on the rotors to help raise the efficiency of the unit. However nitrous will not hurt telfon.

I can't think of any that have "rubber" on the screws!

i really have no idea.... i just read somewhere that there was a problem with wet kits and certain roots blowers. /shrug. :)

Back