• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Can i put a Valve cover breather on here?

PHilly

Hard-core CEG'er
0512081910.jpg

I did this on my old car so the valve cover wouldn't recirculate the oil into my intake and get so oily inside. I'm planning on making the piece that goes in between the TB and the MAF and was wondering if i could just put a mini filter on my valve cover and do away with the plastic tube?

There really shouldn't be any oil in that part of the intake anyway.... :shrug:

There really shouldn't be any oil in that part of the intake anyway.... :shrug:
yea, i know and there isn't. I should have been more clear. I was talking about my last car that had oil on the inside my intercooler piping. So, I basically want to eliminate that tube. If i do that and put a "breather" on will that make my car run any different?

on the duratec, the valve cover vents take in metered air for the PCV system. if you put breather filters on then you will be allowing unmetered air into the system via the PCV valve.

i would say dont do it as i believe i have read on here before that it runs like crap if you do, since it will be to lean.

You need to run an air tool filter between the lines to catch that oily blowby but still keep the air in the system and meet emissions.

yes you do get oil that comes up also alot of moister in the winter so if you had a oil separator plumed onto both breathers in the winter you would collect water. for more info look in the Group Buy section at the oil separators that josh was supposed to put together.

GB on hold:
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=22510
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=20630

With all due respect to those who claim they've never had any oil in the accordian tube (coming from the valve cover vents) I found it there every time I looked. Not only that, I've spoken with other Tour owners who have had a similiar experience. I've owned 2 different Tours with well over 10 yrs. of "experiences". Now I push my car very hard in the twisty bits especially on track days. Hard RH cornering makes the oil splash/slosh up into the vent tube(s), past the baffle and then the negative pressure in the accordian tube takes care of sucking it into the intake tract. I find oil in the accordian tube, the throttle body and the MAF.

I made a oil & H2O filter/seperator with parts from H Depot. The only difficult part was the mounting bracket. It s/b mounted somewhere with good accessibility so that you can clean the oil/H2O out on a regular basis. Mine's mounted under the accordian tube with a custom fab'd stainless bracket. Now you shouldn't have to worry about H2O with an EGR seperator, but if you plumb 1 in to the valve cover vent you will.

My experience is that in the summer, I only pull oil out of the seperator. During the other 3 seasons, I mostly pull H2O out of it with a bit of oil mixed in for good measure. If it's rainy, I have to empty it at least once per week, if not more often! Also, I've noticed the oil stays clean for a longer period of time with it installed.

more info from Bradness:

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=20630&page=6

Last edited:
I havent noticed any oil in the breather line filter yet buy my PCV line filter is starting to get a little. I'm glad I took the 10 minutes to plumb it in there.

on the duratec, the valve cover vents take in metered air for the PCV system. if you put breather filters on then you will be allowing unmetered air into the system via the PCV valve.

i would say dont do it as i believe i have read on here before that it runs like crap if you do, since it will be to lean.

other way around... otherwise the oil thing would be a non discussion.

your not allowing previously metered air back into the system.

I know I've asked a few times on this topic and it still confuses me, but philly, general consensus is to leave those lines be [and this is coming from someone whos gone to great lengths to remove everything possible]

other way around... otherwise the oil thing would be a non discussion.

your not allowing previously metered air back into the system.

I know I've asked a few times on this topic and it still confuses me, but philly, general consensus is to leave those lines be [and this is coming from someone whos gone to great lengths to remove everything possible]

Thanks, thats what i figured, but on some cars it's not a big deal. You saying you want to remove everything possible, thats probably meaning the emission control system and all that other crap? I have been thinking how i could get it to run just like older cars used to without all that computer crap. I have figured out close to nothing:blackeye: What are some things you have been able to remove?

Back