• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Buying replacement wheel cylinders...

Liquid_force

CEG'er
Sorry for the semi-double post, but the brake drum thread didn't seem to be drawing a great deal of interest...

After fighting drum removal for a few days I did finally get one off.

Wheel cylinders are leaking BAD.

For replacements...
Why should I buy the ~$50 Motorcraft option when Rockauto has a wholesaler closeout from Dorman for ~$5?

Sorry for the semi-double post, but the brake drum thread didn't seem to be drawing a great deal of interest...

After fighting drum removal for a few days I did finally get one off.

Wheel cylinders are leaking BAD.

For replacements...
Why should I buy the ~$50 Motorcraft option when Rockauto has a wholesaler closeout from Dorman for ~$5?

motorcraft parts are generally better then aftermarket parts. they are made to the exect ford spec where aftermarket parts might not be. This might mean something it might not. It could be the motorcraft parts will last longer, they might not.

so its really your call. personally I don't skimp on brake parts. However when the wheel cylinders where replaced years ago on my mystique ford parts where not used, that was like 100k or more ago. not sure what my father bought to replace them with.

go cheap

go cheap

No one making or selling brake replacement parts is going to sell an unsafe product, simply too much liability there. Slave cylinders are pretty simple affairs and it would take some effort to screw up.

At that price it is much cheaper than a rebuild kit, but the same rust problem you had will also cause you problems with replacing the slave cylinders. The line will likely be rusted where it bolts into the slave cylinder.

Pop out the old pistons and seals, clean up the bore and inspect. If it is clean, not rusted or pitted install a new set of seals. That way the only thing you'll have to fight is the rusted on bleeder bolt.

Best of luck

No one making or selling brake replacement parts is going to sell an unsafe product, simply too much liability there. Slave cylinders are pretty simple affairs and it would take some effort to screw up.

That's logical enough, but my concern with the cheap parts is more with longevity - machined sealing surfaces, quality of the seals, etc.

A motorcraft wheel cylinder should be expected to last, what, 100k, or close to it? The Dorman, at 1/10 the cost (1/5 before factory close out) -- should I expect it to last only 10k?

I guess I'll find out. The Dorman's were delivered yesterday, along with a Dorman spring kit and monroe shoes.

I got what I thought was a very informative reply back from Dorman in response to my inquiry. Obviously they're trying to sell their stuff, but it did give me some reassurance...

Our wheel cylinders are all manufactured to meet or exceed "OE" wheel cylinders. They are engineered and manufactured to conform to the following SAE standards:

J431 for iron castings (hardness, tensile strength, etc.)

J101 specifically for wheel cylinders (apply and release, ozone resistance, static leakage, applied leakage, storage corrosion)

J1601/1604 specifically for rubber components (we use EPDM compound rubber which is compatible with glycol-based fluid, resistant to water at elevated temperatures, resistant to heat and ozone, oven aged for hardness and shape conformity, and many other attributes).

The Motorcraft cylinders are not original Ford "OE" cylinders, but aftermarket replacements like ours, Raybestos, Wagner, Bendix, etc.

The correct cylinder for the Contour 4 cyl (8" brks) is W37997. The 9" brks were used for the 6 cyl, which is our W610056. Following is the correct "OE" part number interchange:

4 cyl 8" brks: Ford F5RZ 2261-B (our W37997); Motorcraft BRWC33
6 cyl 9" brks: Ford F5RZ 2261-A (our W610056); Motorcraft BRWC43

that right, I learn that recently also the motorcraft isn't oem ford parts. motorcraft are parts made to Ford spec to compete with aftermarket companies. Still I would hold that motorcraft parts are built to the same spec as oem where aftermarket might guess at it or just come close.

that right, I learn that recently also the motorcraft isn't oem ford parts. motorcraft are parts made to Ford spec to compete with aftermarket companies. Still I would hold that motorcraft parts are built to the same spec as oem where aftermarket might guess at it or just come close.

Most of the parts companies do nothing but rebox. Motorcraft, ac delco, napa, etc. They don't make anything, just slap their name on the box.

They're just wheel cylinders. I've never had a problem with even the cheapest of the aftermarket brands. In fact I just buy the cheapos and change them every time.

They're just wheel cylinders. I've never had a problem with even the cheapest of the aftermarket brands. In fact I just buy the cheapos and change them every time.

use the cheap ones the motorcraft is more name recognition/markup

drum breaks are cheep and so are the parts at $50 apiece you might as well install disc brakes.

amazingly detailed WOW!!!

amazingly detailed WOW!!!

Holy cow. How do you get on with your projects? That much detail on a simple project like replacing wheel cylinders? Reminds me of the perfectionists I used to work with, gather gather gather data, analyze, analyze, analyze, and never finish the project.

Me, I'd buy the things, install them and get on with my life.

So...I'm analytical, you're not.

I've never worked on drums, and I've had a lot of time between discovering the problem and getting the garage time scheduled, which means a lot of time to 2nd guess myself and look for answers.
I'm of the belief that I can never be too well prepared, especially for something like brake repairs.

Back