• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Broken TSS

FrancisPennysac

Veteran CEG'er
I NEED HELP ASAP!!!
OMG so the sensor I pulled/broke was i believe the VSS. Its location was right behind the drivers side tire mounted to the trans. THATS the sensor that I freaking broke :( and its an automatic car so now I cant go anywhere till I fix it UGH!!

Any help would be great!! pictures would be even better of the location of both sensors.. I tried searching in the forums but the pics it linked to were dead.

I am at a standstill and will have to get an extractor set to remove the old VSS It snapped off clean flush with the trans. (I believe)

Can someone PLEASE clarify what the VSS and TSS look like? As well as there locations on the trans?? Everything I am reading is VERY conflicting.

Its a 1998 mercury mystique ATX.

Here is the link to the NEW VSS that must be installed due to me breaking the old one on trying to remove it.. Is this the CORRECT part??
https://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/cart.oap

Again its location was forward of the driveshaft/steering and mounted to the trans on the lower drivers side with a metal line running just beneath it.!! If that's the case then where in the fk is the TSS located at?? and does anyone have any pictures to help??

Last edited:
Sounds like it was the VSS(Vehicle Speed Sensor). I've no idea what the TSS is tho. Then again, urs is an auto. The VSS is a big black Hexagon shaped piece. It's very different from any regular sensor. The link you posted came up empty by the way. Here you go. Scroll down a bit. That seems to be what u need. The black piece above the metal tube like you described. http://www.justanswer.com/ford/2u39z...d-contour.html

Not sure if Im seeing that angle right but it doesnt look like that... The one I broke can be seen from the drivers side, if you turn the wheels left and peak in from the front of the drivers side tire. there is a sensor on the trans and it appears to be the only one easily accesible...this is the one i THOUGHT was the TSS (Turbine Shaft Speed) sensor.

This is what I am trying to confirm!! Ill have to take a photo as soon as there is daylight!!

I need to know wtf im looking at and what I broke b4 I go any further at all!!

You're overthinking this. You've already seen what the VSS looks like. The other sensor would have to be the TSS. From googling, it looks to be smaller than the VSS. The VSS sits vertically atop the tranny, and comes off by twisting/unscrewing. The TSS looks to me to be connected the regular way most sensors are, which is snapped/clipped on.

It is a 2.0 zetec....OK so heres where I am at. BAD SVT you are correct and thanks for all the help guys.. The sensor that I broke was the TSS.. I just had both the VSS and TSS replaced... even my mechanic said it was a bastard to find the right part numbers and they make different ones fro the same trans. Thats where the confusion came in. Thanks anyways and hopefully this will help anyone else that is having these issues!

Hope the mech looked close at the VSS wiring harness, it typically erodes to crumble wiring insulation from the heat there. Almost all of them do it.

Back