• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Brand new battery, car won't start, nothing lights up .... ?????

Actually, on the (proper) diagram, the fuel pump relay is "R8." I bought one yesterday and installed it, but still no engine startup -- just good "turning over." So, no prob with the battery. But the Chilton's shop manual says that spark plugs simply left too long in an engine, even if the car isn't started and driven, will still deteriorate (not sure what this means, precisely). I'll be checking the plugs soon, maybe today if I can.

I also bought a new fuel filter; I've had many tell me that it's a very good chance that rotten fuel and gummy deposits have fouled the "fuel highway," including (especially?) the filter. But even with my new Chilton's shop manual with good photos, I can't for the life of me find it under the car. I chocked the back tire, jacked the side up to the max of the jack's extension, and put a jack stand in place. The manual says the filter is underneath the passenger side, next to the frame rail. But I am just not seeing it.

Well, that's my report for now -- I'll be having another look this afternoon . . .

it should be right under the rear passenger seat. with the car safely supported up in the air slide in under right in front of the rear tire and look up. be fore i switched spring i could change the fuel filter on my zetec without even jacking it up. also i know some one mentioned it but the impact fuel pump safety switch thing, have you checked to make sure that hasn't been tripped? i know that one my old sable it would trip if a door was shut to hard.

Electrical/Ignition issues fixed -- engine still turns over fine but refuses to start up

Electrical/Ignition issues fixed -- engine still turns over fine but refuses to start up

Thanks, cetroutt. Yes, I located the access to the fuel pump, and also found the Schrader valve in the engine bay.

Status thus far:
Engine turns over fine -- no electrical/ignition issues remain
Replaced fuel pump relay in the PD box
Today a friend and I replaced the fuel filter (passenger side, near the gas tank)
Checked the inertial cut-off switch, it is in the "Run" position
Put new premium gas + water remover in tank
After all of that, the engine still turns over and over wonderfully, but as before, it won't start except with starter fluid, and dies when the starter fluid is cut off.

Unless there's something I'm missing, it now for sure looks like the fuel pump bought the farm. :-(

Long day this July 4th, headed for bed, catch you all later . . .

- Dave G.

are you getting fuel to the fuel rail? every time i've ever changed my fuel filter there's always fuel in it. if when you changed yours there was no fuel or very old smelling fuel in it perhaps it's time to check the pump. if you had good fuel in the filter then you probably need to check at the fuel rail.

There was fuel in the filter, and it was pretty foul-smelling. Plus, when the key is turned, there is no "whirring" sound from where the fuel pump is.

Today I'll test the wires at the pump -- if it's getting power and isn't "spinning up," then I'll figure it's dead and I'll replace it.

My SVT STARTS !! and RUNS !! and STAYS running !!

My SVT STARTS !! and RUNS !! and STAYS running !!

Well, my friend came over yesterday, and in an hour or so, we had the fuel pump out. There was a bit of difficulty with the large retainer ring, and also one of the plastic fuel hose clamps.

We replaced it with a new pump and tank filter, turned the key, and VOILA!! My SVT started and RAN . . . and KEPT running !!! Wooo hoooo !!!

I drove it to work today despite having 5-year-old tags; I left work and found NO ticket on my windshield for expired tags. I'll be getting it inspected and emissions-tested in the next few days, but according to what I was told previously, the IMRC is keeping it from passing emissions testing.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in with comments and support, I appreciate it. I'm still thanking the Powers that Be that we didn't have to pull the gas tank . . .

AUGHGH !!! CSVT is dead again . . . mysteries abound

AUGHGH !!! CSVT is dead again . . . mysteries abound

Since my most recent post, my CSVT has been purring and roaring along. Today, I was just pulling into a shopping center parking lot (into an uphill "driveway") and suddenly my car died. With having been running so well, and the gas gauge not working correctly, my first thought was "out of gas."

Some bystanders kindly helped me push my car up into the parking lot. I tried starting it again, but it refused. It turned over and over just fine, but wouldn't start.

I put several gallons of gas in the tank -- still nothing. My friend (who had helped me before) checked the fuel pump fuse and the relay with his multimeter.

Interestingly, the power windows suddenly wouldn't work either, but the fuse tested fine.

He also tested the wires at the fuel pump, as well as the connector. Turning the key in the ignition got the fuel pump motor to work, so it seems OK -- but yet the engine just won't start. Once again, spraying starter fluid starts it, but it dies when the spray is cut off.

Meanwhile, it was raining. My sunroof was stuck open, but like the power windows, it too would not work. In desperation, as the rain poured, I looked for something to cover the opening. I finally used the "mat board" from the trunk.

Once again, I am at a loss for what is wrong. Some of it seems to be a fuel problem (reaching the engine), but there are also some elusive electrical problems somewhere. For example (as I said), the power windows are not working, despite the fuse being fine. And, they did work fine until right at the same time the car died.

Ideas, anyone ? I'm losing it here (weak chuckle) . . . Thanks in advance . . .

- Dave G.

Back