• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

blocking coolant lines

bensenvill

Hard-core CEG'er
simple question, I've removed the entire HVAC system from my car. The only part I'm questioning is how to properly block off the 2 coolant lines that run into the cabin [the one off the water pump and the one the returns it to the block]. Whats the proper way to do this [and a way thats reversible]?

Is it as simple as sticking a six inch segment of hose onto these ports and jamming a bolt in the other and clamping it off?

Can you just connect the 2 ends to each other? Like an electrical circuit?

theres alot of things I could do, specifically looking to learn how to eliminate them, and in a way without hacking up my original lines [once again, this is more of a temporary arrangement, I would like to revert back at some point]

since they both go through the firewall at basically the same point why not just connect them with a u-shaped piece of coolant hose? thats probably the best way that has the greatest chance of not leaking.

I've used the rubber caps from the "help section" on other cars before to block coolant lines, but the U shaped hose seems like a good idea if you don't care about looks.

lets see, one hose from the firewall goes to the water cross over tube on the heads and one goes to the waterpump. I am guessing the lines to the firewall are for the heater core. so I would just run a line from the waterpump to the water cross over tube and you have eliminated the run from the water tube to the core and back to the waterpump.

get proper fittings and hose clamps. Case solved...*NEXT*:laugh:

excuse me? my question was what are the proper fittings.

and tiger where can I find these rubber caps?

and brapple, I really just want to ELIMINATE lines not reroute them, very well aware on how to do that.

I can't remember where I saw the fittings. It's a male/male hose connector. I think it was at the autoparts store. Depending on the hose size, they'll have white(i believe) hose connectors that normally you use to extend hosing but you can use it in this case. Then just get the proper size hose clamp. And presto!

Back