• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

blew the motor... which year 4 cyls swap in?

offroadSVT

New CEG'er
I have a 95 2.0L with a 5 speed.

needs a new motor.

What year motors will directly swap in?

Can I get a motor from an automatic and just swap the flexplate/flywheel and get a throw-out bearing, or are there more differences.

You can use any motor through the 1997 year I'm pretty sure. However, if you get a non-95, then many of the sensor connectors will be different and need to be spliced in, and you will also probably have extra sensors IIRC. I could be mistaken so someone else should verify :cool:

correct, any 95-97 engine will work (in fact i used a 95 engine for my build up in my 97). just swap over your original sensors, the flywheel, etc. since you will have it apart i would get the flywheel machined and get a new clutch/pressure plate/TOB.

Thanks, Striker2. I like the car and hate to give it up. It's fun to drive and gets, er got, pretty good gas mileage. I'll start keeping my eyes open.

You guys never let me down. This place is wonderful and I brag about it all the time. Wish I could find a similar resource for my 92 Isuzu Rodeo.

No, the Focus Zetec does not have VCT and the oil pan doesnt clear our subframe.
This is probably a question that has been answered before, but would it at all be possible to swap oil pans? With out luck the bolt pattern is different. It would be sweet to have a Focus oil pan so then it becomes an easy bolt-on for the Focus header...:shrug:

This is probably a question that has been answered before, but would it at all be possible to swap oil pans? With out luck the bolt pattern is different. It would be sweet to have a Focus oil pan so then it becomes an easy bolt-on for the Focus header...:shrug:
the pans will swap but the focus pan wont clear the subframe on the passenger side.

yes, but only for the pre98s as the Focus doesnt have VCT, unless your going to tune the car and turn off VCT.

yes, but only for the pre98s as the Focus doesnt have VCT, unless your going to tune the car and turn off VCT.
So then I guess a Focus block will work, as long as you delete VCT (if necessary) and swap oil pans. That's pretty freaking sweet! Now if only there was a way to bolt up the MTX-75 to a FSVT motor :drool:. Haha sorry I'm just rambling now :laugh:

So then I guess a Focus block will work, as long as you delete VCT (if necessary) and swap oil pans. That's pretty freaking sweet! Now if only there was a way to bolt up the MTX-75 to a FSVT motor :drool:. Haha sorry I'm just rambling now :laugh:
stock block, eagle rods, high compression pistons (not probe), ported head, cams, SVT intake manifold operated by RPM switch, header. that should put you in the pretty close, maybe even better off.

97 Contour GL Short Block replacement

97 Contour GL Short Block replacement

I have found a brand new Focus ZX3 short block. Will it directly replace the OE short block? I have been told by Ford that it will 1 for 1 swap. I want to get it right the first time so I come to the experts. Is there anything I need to do special?

It is purely stock right now.

Thanks.

Back