• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

big brake kit Baer vs. Wilwood

First of all welcome!

It depends on what you plan on doing with your car. If you plan to do a LOT of Track racing/Lapping Days/Autocrossing, then go with the Wilwoods. There are a few types of Wilwood kit's though. To help, here's the site that sells the Wilwood kit's http://tceperformanceproducts.com/. If you want some good looking brakes with much better stopping power than stock, then go with the Baer's. Hope that helped!

the wilwoods are roughly 7 pounds lighter per corner, now that is rotational mass as well...the wilwoods will also do 100-0 in like 4 seconds with the bp-20 pads...:)

the baer kit weighs in at 14lbs more than the wilwood kit if i remember right. what rims are you running? that makes a big difference in your choice. the wilwoods are very easy to change the pads out on, and you can might have more pad options

IMG_3392.jpg

Yes unsprung weight means a lot! I didn't know that the Baer's weighed that much more than the Wilwood kit (Though it is the smaller kit, but still lighter none-the-less). And convenience of changing pads is also a plus. Now that I think more about it, I'd suggest going with the smaller Wilwood kit if your going to be doing more street driving.

Edit: I forgot that the Baer's come in the track kit with the 2 piece rotors, so it'll be much lighter that the standard Baer kit. But at that price, may aswell go with the Wilwood kit.

I have the 12inch Baers upfront with Hawk Pads and drilled rear rotors and have no complaints, the car brakes amazing for street and im sure would be even better on the track with the hawk pads..as long as you dont mind some squealing lol like a school bus

100_1140.jpg

100_1056.jpg

Eventually I will, but for now the car brakes really well. I dont plan on tracking it more than one or twice anyways in 2010 so for now they will do :)

Over the winter I think I may invest in the Baer 13inch kit or another BBK...going to need the extra stopping power for whats planned :D

If I don't have a BBK by then, consider your 12inch Baer brake kit sold :).

So... boost maybe?? Lol.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe lol....still deciding whether I want to go for a NPG Stg3 Kit or build my own..internals would be done as well so im thinking a custom kit would be better financially lol..my friend did his own kit on his Focus and spent way less than any kit out there, and its quality parts too he used(JE pistons, Eagle Rods, ford racing valve springs, etc)..should be good for 300whp id say but he hasnt finished yet.

But I do like the fact the NPG kit is almost fully complete and done in a 1 time/shot deal

It depends on what you plan on doing with your car.

Couldn't agree more. I've worked up two different rotor diamteters, two different widths and three different caliper choices for these kits. Not because one is superior to the other but rather dependent upon what the use was or the wheel fit requirements were. Not everyone needs massive 'track' brakes for a dd nor do the drag fans want that much added weight. On the other hand those who may share some local track time want more rotor mass and more pad. And sometimes that's also factored with what size wheel they run.

I've got the 13" TCE front kit and the upgraded TCE rear kit and I LOVE it. It's worth every penny. Braking is consistent and it stops FAST. It looks pretty sexy, too!

Went from this:

IMAGE_026.jpg

To this:

Brake%20Upgrade
154.jpg

I'm running a 13" Bear track kit on my Cougar. I hated the stock brakes (warped rotors all the time). These are so massive it's nearly impossible to warp them. If you want to cut down on weight they do offer the two piece rotors which I may go to if I ever need to get a new set of rotors. I don't think anyone has been disappointed with any aftermarket big brake kit so whatever you choose you should be happy.

Back