• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

BFG g-Force KDW for $52 each

brpavers

CEG'er
saaweeeeet. I just received my BFG g-Force KDWs from tires-easy.com. These things recorded 1.1 gs, not bad for street tires. They are 225-45-16 ZR. I know that is a little on the small dia size and I know they are summer tires, but i am in north GA mountains and these things are a blast on the twisties. The CSVT is now like a four door racing cart. And what a sweet looking tread pattern. They look as racy as F1 wets.

I paid $52.20 ea plus $13.00 ea for shipping and no tax. The install with stems and tire disposal set me back $85.00, so all out, I was under $350.:eek:

If you want some, I just checked, they have 21 left. The guys that mounted them said that the tires were made in Oct. 2005 and they have to be sold within 5 yrs on the manf date. If thats the case, they may be lower by the end of the week. the guys at the tire shop said they were in perfect shape and not to worry about the manuf date.

My bad. I was a little too excited about how ell they handled. You are right they are 225/45/16. Good pick up. I editted it.

Um, that tire, in a slightly different size was the OEM tire for the 2000 CSVTs.
The downside is, since BFG discontinued that tire awhile back, anything you find is going to be old stock. I actually thought they were all gone already.

That tire has excellent grip, but is terribly noisy once it wears in a bit.

Um, that tire, in a slightly different size was the OEM tire for the 2000 CSVTs.
The downside is, since BFG discontinued that tire awhile back, anything you find is going to be old stock. I actually thought they were all gone already.

That tire has excellent grip, but is terribly noisy once it wears in a bit.

I was wanting the BFG g-force knowing that they were OEM on CSVTs and I had them on my Audi A6 2.7T, and they were excellent. I was shooting for a 215/50/16 or 215/55/16 to go on the E1s. I saw these at the price and I could not pass them up. You may have saw that I noted they were made in Oct 05, so they have been on a shelf for 4 years and there was a little oxidation on the sidewalls, but it came off and the sidewalls were still very stiff, but with good flex at the bead and no cracks.

On the noise issue, they don't seem too bad to me after 200 miles and I had 15,000 on the A6's g-forces and the noise level wasn't something I noticed. Besides, noise is in the ear of the beholder. My wife and I camped in the infield of Road Atlanta back during the IMSA days and every morning we awoke to the sound of 2 BMW M1s (V12s), screaming thru the hills at full song (my kind of alarm clock). My first words were "what a sweet sound" :drool: and her first words were "what the hell is that noise":mad: (why i otta :troutslap:) . If the tires are noisy, they must be doing their job being sticky.

I was wanting the BFG g-force knowing that they were OEM on CSVTs and I had them on my Audi A6 2.7T, and they were excellent. I was shooting for a 215/50/16 or 215/55/16 to go on the E1s. I saw these at the price and I could not pass them up. You may have saw that I noted they were made in Oct 05, so they have been on a shelf for 4 years and there was a little oxidation on the sidewalls, but it came off and the sidewalls were still very stiff, but with good flex at the bead and no cracks.

Actually, somehow I missed your comment about the date . . . oops. I wouldn't be worried about them structurally or being unsafe or anything like that, as long as they don't have cracks or heavy oxidation or anything like that (as you noted) but, "sticky" tires tend to lose thier edge over time, and the compound gets harder. How they were stored has a huge affect though, tires stored outside will be orders of magnitude less sticky than tires stored in a dark temperature controlled warehouse. If it were possible to test an old tire and a new tire form the same batch, there would be a perceptible difference in the rubber durometer, and in the resulting performance of the tire.

On the noise issue, they don't seem too bad to me after 200 miles and I had 15,000 on the A6's g-forces and the noise level wasn't something I noticed. Besides, noise is in the ear of the beholder. My wife and I camped in the infield of Road Atlanta back during the IMSA days and every morning we awoke to the sound of 2 BMW M1s (V12s), screaming thru the hills at full song (my kind of alarm clock). My first words were "what a sweet sound" :drool: and her first words were "what the hell is that noise":mad: (why i otta :troutslap:) . If the tires are noisy, they must be doing their job being sticky.

Note saying the noise is a deal breaker, just noting its the downside to these tires. I ran through two full sets of the OEM KDWs on my CSVT, and through another two sets of the KDW2s on my M3, and all 16 of them were quite noisy. If they didn't grip well, I wouldn't have put up with the noise, lol.

Thanks for the reassurance on the aging issue. Its fall in the mountains. I will enjoy the stickness while its still there.

Back