• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

best pedals?

for the autozone ones.. how did you mod the gas pedal.. did you use longer bolts?

bought the car that way so i don't know how they where put on other then the previous owner made his own mounting brakets to make the pedals very secure as I guess they have a tendency to move around if installed how they come

kinda off subject but i need your opinion.. my heater control.. it only works on high and not the other speeds.. what do yah think might be the cause of that

for the autozone ones.. how did you mod the gas pedal.. did you use longer bolts?

the gas pedal is plastic or hardened rubber so what i did was drill right through the middle of the pedal. 2 holes using the pedal cover as a guide.
IMHO, the clutch cover will eventually start twisting and eventually end up where mine is ............in the back seat somewhere!:mad:
autozone did have a set that didn't have the foldable clamps but actually came in a 2 pc set where you simply screw the pedal cover to a underside brace but i haven't seen them lately. when i do, i will make the switch!!

oh...you gotta be carefull too. I wear timberland boots which can be a little wider than avg, so be sure that you allow yourself enough room btwn the brake cover and accelerator pedal. safety reasons of course.

personally, i advise spending the the extra bucks for a nice set vs the $12.99 at auto zone:blackeye:

yeah thats true.. i got the autozone ones and i kno what your talking about having some room between the acc. n brake.. im gonna have try to move the brake pedal over towards the clutch.
and i have to mod the accel. pedal cause the damn thing is think plastic.

I have a set of the cheap pedals... they're still aluminum though, for an MTX. Real cheap; PM me if you want them.
1113071654.jpg

Just screw them into the pedals. Brake is metal so it's hard to do. You'll probably have to take the panel under the steering wheel area off to fit a drill in there.

Best pedals in my book are the brushed aluminum ones for the Cougar. The clutch and gas pedal covers just slip on like stock ones and you can replace the entire gas pedal assembly. Might not be the cheapest or the best looking, but for fit and function I'd say they are the best :cool:

I think I got the whole set for ~$70 through a Ford discount. The gas pedal is the expensive part, the clutch and brake covers are only like $10 each.

CougarPedals.jpg

Last edited:
i got a set of Momos cheap from a friend brand new, dont remember what style they are, but they grip great and i had no problem bolting them up. and theyre shaped too, so they fit your feet better and it also makes heel-toeing a bit easier for us shorter people that have to basically sit right in front of the steering wheel...

Drilling through the stock pedals sucked!

i imagine you did it?
that to be a job. how long it take you.
i may be willing to do that.
did you spray rustoleum before applying the pedal covers?
with you living NE, I'm sure that your boots would probably carry some degree of salty water that would eventually drip and seem down to the steel and eventually cause rust.

I actually have the aluminum autovation pedals. My dad helped and we got it done in about 1-1.5 hours. I placed the alum. pedals on and marked the holes then we drilled accordingly. It helps to put a block behind the pedals to keep them from moving. Definitely remove the cover underneath the dash for more work room. We did it with the same drill but, but when my brother did it, he said he broke a ton! I didn't think to spray anything before putting them on.

Back