• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Best all around performance tire at a good price?

Summer only tires are a no go - thanks guys. I'll look into the stock 16s to find a wider selection... should have thought of that earlier. I did read all the reviews on several sets of tires (yes, including the ones I posted in the OP...). Just because one person says the tires are no good in the snow doesn't mean it's true. There are plenty of other factors that could have possibly been at play. Other reviews say different things... you can't just take one person's comments as truth.

I've heard a few people mention the Kumho ASX, but the reviews don't look very good. Cheap price, though at $80/corner hmmmmm...

And to those of you who only commented to take the opportunity to brag or poke fun at something I said - buzz off.

The Hankooks are widely praise by quite a few of the BMW guys I hang around with. For all season, I'd recommend the Nitto Neogens or General Exclaim UHP's. I loved the Neogens on our old Mazda6 wagon, if those come in your size. Every Kumho I've owned has sucked.

i agree that the Kumho ASX tires are near worthless in the snow, they're pretty noisy too. Although my tires were 215/45/17 . The 15 or 16" sizes would probably be slightly better.

I have had Goodyear assurance comfortreads since I got the car. They have excellent all- around traction and I live in illinois. I drive in up to 4 inches of snow without a problem. After 4 my bumper just becomes a plow.. Best of all, these tires are high-mileage and extremely comfortable and quiet.

The next tire I will be purchasing is the yokohama yk520's in 205/55r16. They run about $100 per tire avg. Are quiet (my friend and boss have them), have excellent traction for a FWD car and have a 60,000 mile manufacturer warranty. Both people have seen slight increases in mpg's coming from bridgestone tires and bf goodrich tires.

I'm not a fan of firestone tires. They're very stiff and become worse in temps below 40 F.

Back