• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

axles, which kind?

newguyhooah

CEG'er
Ok, i have a torn outside boot. I was just going to get a boot replacement and call it done but with a turbo 3L should I really get aftermarket axles? I heard drive shaft shop axles were braking just the same and the random rebuilt ones on ebay are junk. I see that there are gck axles? are they just the same or are they any good compared to factory replacement?

If you are going to drag the car, then upgrade. If not, I think another stocker should suit you just fine.

I never launched my 3L turbo and had zero axel issues. If you get a lot of wheelhop and such, then an upgrade might be in order too. Is your trans fully built?

We have yet to find an axle that won't strip out the splines under repeated heavy/hard launches. Or in my case, the one time I launched hard, I broke it at the knuckle. There is a guy on here who does sell them, but I can't think of who it is or the website off the top of my head

my tranny is all stock with all original miles(97,XXX). I do not plan on launching it even if I drag it. Are the GCK axles an actual upgrade?

I have a Stage 3+ clutch with Fildanza (spelling) flywheel and shorter throw shifter but no limited slip or upgraded forks bla bla. What about the shifetr tower bolt? Never heard of that one. Anyone know of a good boot fix kit?

I have a Stage 3+ clutch with Fildanza (spelling) flywheel and shorter throw shifter but no limited slip or upgraded forks bla bla. What about the shifetr tower bolt? Never heard of that one. Anyone know of a good boot fix kit?

Wow your brave, how many miles with the 3L Turbo?

British American Transfer (BAT Inc.) down in Florida sells boot replacement kits. Do a Google search for BAT Inc. and you will find them (should be first hit).

As for your transaxle, you better get it upgraded through LivinSVT or Terry Haines ASAP. These transaxles cannot handle the power of a turboed 3L for very long.

The shift tower is the assembly that mechanically transfers your gear shift commands coming from the shift cables to move the shift forks inside the transaxle. There is a bolt that is part of this assembly that is well known for breaking off. When it breaks, the head of the bolt falls down into the transaxle case and usually gets caught between the transaxle case and the gears/sychros which results in a broken case and damaged gears. Even if the bolt head doesn't get caught between the case and gears, the transaxle will either be stuck in neutral or one gear. If you get stuck in neutral, the shift tower can be removed to be repaired and it is possible (although quite difficult) to fish out the bolt head. If you get stuck in gear, it is extremely difficult to get the transaxle back into neutral. The shift tower can be removed when in neutral but cannot be removed when stuck in gear. If you are stuck in a gear, usually the transaxle has to be removed and dissassembled to fix the problem.

ok I just put on the turbo and my 3L is about 2 years old. I actually will have it tuned and on the road in about a week. Had to deal with a very late delivery from the guy who sold me the kit. Anyways my Spec seems to be working just perfect for the past 2 years as well. Now as for the GCK axles, are they better than stock? I might be able to two for 150$ shipped so I dont know if they are worth it or not? My trans will be upgraded next winter. So in the meantime I am going to be nice to it. lol As nice as I can.

Back