• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Auto tranny fluid for Zetec...

The fluid I used

The fluid I used

Here it is. All the fine prints in the back works for my vehicle.
I don't remember the exact wording now but behind the Mercon V, it was saying something like "Do not use on Ford Vehicles before XXXX model year" and mine was built before that specific year. So that's why I didn't get Mercon V.

Attachments

• Picture 015(RD).JPG
    Picture 015(RD).JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Picture 016(RD).JPG
    Picture 016(RD).JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 0
I see it. I stopped by Wal-Mart this afternoon to pick up another gallon of SuperTech Mercon. And While there, I wanted to see what that fine print was on the back of Mercon V and it wasn't exactly what I thought it was.
It clearly says it can be used where Mercon is specified and at the bottom it says Not to be used for Ford Type F transmissions...

So basically the reason why I didn't get Mercon V was because I didn't see it in the manual. And I wasn't so familiar with ATF fluid types. Even on the tranny dip stick, it was saying "Use Mercon fluid"

Well apparently Mercon V can easily be used on my car(would probably be better) But now I started with Mercon and I guess I should go with that. I don't think it would be a good idea to mix Mercon with Mercon V. Don't you think?
And also there isn't anything wrong with Mercon. Right?

2nd drain-refill

2nd drain-refill

Okay. I did the 2nd drain-refill today and the fluid came out almost just as dark.
There was 6 days and 200miles betweem the 2 drain-refills.
It looks very dark in the picture but when you get it on your fingers, it is not that bad.
When I was draining it, the color seemed a bit lighter than the 1st drain. However in the plastic container, it looks very dark.

I am definitely doing the 3rd drain-refill but I guess I will stop there.

Picture attached...

Attachments

• Picture 002(RD).JPG
    Picture 002(RD).JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 0
Even though the fluid is dark, it is much better than before. The fresh fluid brings fresh additives with it. I would certainly do the third drain and refill reasonably soon.

After that you might go to the method many people use and drop four quarts of trans fluid out and replace it with every oil change for a few more times until the color gets better.

Another option would be to do the third drain and refill soon and then follow up with a flush in about 10,000 to 12,000 miles.

Even though you don't see the difference, what you have done so far has helped.

Absolutely Jim. The color may look dark but I have now about 8 quarts of fresh fluid mixed into the system. Nothing could be bad about this. And soon(probably after another week of driving) I will do the third and I kind of feel that on the 3rd one the color may change a bit. I will have the regular oil change in a month or two and then I may again do another drain-refill. I wish I would have done it long time ago but I didn't know that it was acutally simpler than a regular engine oil change. And I was also scared due to the high milage. I overcame that fear now...

No, you have 6 quarts of new fluid mixed in. :p

Sorry. I forgot to look at you scientific table zorrex:)

Yeah per your table I won't even reah 8.0 after the 3rd drain-refill.

Maybe at the 3rd drain, I will see some light going through the fluid as it pours down. First two (especially the 1st one) was like crude oil pouring down... We will see:cool:

3rd drain-refill

3rd drain-refill

I did the 3rd one today. This time though I left 2 weeks between drians.
How was it?

Well, the color was the same to be honest(Picture attached). When it was draining, I cleraly saw that the fluid was much lighter than the previous(especially the 1st one) but when you fill a container with large amount of fluid, you see no difference in the color.
But now I ran about 11 quarts through the tranny. And per Zorrex's scientific table:) I should have about 8 quarts fo fresh fluid in. So my tranny can not complain at all.

I am stopping here. So there won't be 4th drain-refill anytime soon.

Though one more thing I wanted to ask. Was I really supposed to drain close to 4 quarts?
When I drain, I always leave it for about 10 minutes to get every drop out. But when I fill it, I could only put a little over 3 quarts. I would say like 3.2 quarts. Because when I measured the remainging fresh fluid today, there was over 1.5 pints left in it. And I checked the dip stick several times and it is full. Actually slightly over the max level.
And I got this reading while the engine hot idling and after shifting through all the gears several times.
If I am not mistaken somebody was saying I should drain and put back about 3.9 quarts. Not happening in my case...

Attachments

• Picture 003(RD).JPG
    Picture 003(RD).JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 0
Actually it does look better, but far from pristine. That's an indication of just how neglected the transmission was. Your transmission is far better off now than when you started.

Back