• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ATX to MTX Conversion

It sounds like you were just going to cry a little :shrug:. You'll be fine, don't worry.

both of you just quite.

Joe, forget about him. he sounds just like my father and doesnt understand wanting to mod your car to either make it your own or just that little bit more fun to drive.

andreslobo, we all know you think that cars, in general, are just transportation. fine, but that doesnt mean you need to voice that (and take threads completely off topic) in every thread where someone is talking about modding or upgrading their car.

To the OP:

Cost wise it would make more sense to try to find another v6 with the MTX in it already. But a good reason to do it to your car is if you are having trans issues already that need to be addressed then this would be a good time to upgrade. Does your car have any runability/driveability issues right now? If your car runs good as is, then I would advise to just hold out until you can find that factory MTX that you have been looking for. One will pop up eventually.

For the best price you could find a blown motor MTX car and swap your motor over. Good luck with your search if you are still reading after all this hi-jacking. :laugh:

Good luck Maurice. There is a wealth of information that I've found on this subject on the NECO forums, including a very detailed PDF howto.

@andres--- go away. Your girlfriend-like opinions about cars are dragging everybody down. You obviously don't belong here.

the NECO pdf how to is good but there is a better way of completing the swap. the how-to talks about traicking the atx pcm to thinking the atx is still there. the better way is to get the matching year and fuel system engine wiring harness and pcm. then everything works as it should.

YES! Hell yes... believe me, I have done this swap 4 times, and converted from mtx-atx twice... ALWAYS get the correct harness, ecu and pats key chip and you wont have any hassles.

Its a pain to try and trace down what wires do what in 99-02 cougars... the how to was written for an early 99 return style cougar, which has the same wiring as what is in the how-to... every year after that has different wiring schemes in the main engine harness, and you would need the wiring shop schematics for your year cougar to tap the correct wires, or find the right resistor to work with the Tach, etc...

So much easier to swap in the right main harness and ecu, and swap out the PATS key chip...

OK,

I havent updated this as I am still driving my tour with the ATX was looking for a MTX tour rather then doing this conversion but am not having any luck. My ATX is making a cool whining noise like a turbo now and spews fluid out the breather if I push it to hard.I have decided its not worth putting the money into the car and doing the conversion and instead have begun a search of a car that is worth putting some time and money into an SVT. I am looking for a TR/MNB or SF/MNB SVT. If my current tour was at least a SE and not a GL I would put the time and money into it. I am going to put a used transmission into the car and give it to my daughter for her first car.

For Andres, the value of the car is in the eye of the beholder. I love driving my tour, my wife has a newer saturn and I have an expedition and netiher compare to how much I like driving my tour. I have always wanted an SVT but never had a reason to get one and now I do.

thank you to everyone who has given me information. When I buy my SVT I will post pics. Just looking for a decent one that doesnt have a rebuilt title.

Just and old man with experience trying to provide a rational voice.

Just and old man with experience trying to provide a rational voice.

For Andres, the value of the car is in the eye of the beholder.

While you may think that the value of the car is in the eye of the beholder, it is really worth only what a buyer is willing to pay. Several times on this forum I have read about members being pissed that the insurance company will only pay the KBB value of a contour that was totalled, not the cost of the parts and accessories that were on the car. A $1,500 set of wheels, a $500 mirko splitter, a $4,000 air ride suspension all down the drain all on a car that KBB at $3,500.

I offered the advice previously as a counter to the 'enthusiasts' on this forum who rarely ask the question "should I do this?" Whole industries are built around folks who want to mod their cars, and for the most part folks spend a reasonable amount doing so, but then some folks pour more money into their cars than the cars would ever be worth. That is their choice, but it leaves alot less money for other things in life now and down the road.

Life is long and if you want a comfortable life you need to start budgeting your limited resources early in life, a lesson lost on a lot of folks

Back