• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Are these compatible?

Baer calipers are modified compared to the regular cobra calipers. The bolt hole locations on the carrier brackets are different. If you use a Baer caliper, you need the Baer intermediate bracket, if you use a standard Cobra caliper, you need the brackets I had made to fit them up to a contour knuckle.

I have not verified if the Baer rotor works with my setup though.

Baer calipers are modified compared to the regular cobra calipers. The bolt hole locations on the carrier brackets are different. If you use a Baer caliper, you need the Baer intermediate bracket, if you use a standard Cobra caliper, you need the brackets I had made to fit them up to a contour knuckle.

Rara why exactly "might" the Baer 13" rotors work with your DIY brackets? I'm just curious here and not being doubtful if I seem that way ;) I was just thinking a 13" rotor is a 13" rotor if they're still basically the same one piece design. I could understand it if we were talking two piece rotors though.

I've been thinking about that set-up possibly for my car, as you can get the Cobra calipers/anchor plates with pads for about $250 or so.

Shannon

first and foremost......WHERE the heck you been. i had sent you a p.m. asking if you had any of these brackets left. or if you were going to make any more. and i didn't think to use baer rotors with cobra calipers:shrug: I was just going to use cobra calipers rotors and pads.

Do i plan on tracking the car.....ummm maybe but it wont be in the near future from what my pockets predict:nonono:. So if baer rotors are more of a track thing then that's not a big concern for me anyways.

first and foremost......WHERE the heck you been. i had sent you a p.m. asking if you had any of these brackets left. or if you were going to make any more. and i didn't think to use baer rotors with cobra calipers:shrug: I was just going to use cobra calipers rotors and pads.

Do i plan on tracking the car.....ummm maybe but it wont be in the near future from what my pockets predict:nonono:. So if baer rotors are more of a track thing then that's not a big concern for me anyways.

I have 1,432 pms in my inbox, and not a single one is from you about brake brackets (though there is one from over a year ago about you getting some euro focus wheels). and I've been here just about every day for the last 10 years... anyway, if you DO send me a PM about brackets, we can discuss what I have left, I'm sure we can figure out something that will work.

The baer rotors MAY work because they are very similar to the Cobra rotor blank, but I don't know if the thickness and offsets match exactly or if they are a little different to accommodate the modified baer caliper. I want to say this was checked by someone before and they didn't quite work, but I'm just not sure offhand.

Ironically, beyond my initial mockups on my car before I sold it, I haven't heard reports of anyone actually installing the brackets I sold on a car yet.

P1010023-2.jpg

P1010024-2.jpg

Here are some pics, those are '95 Cobra calipers (in process of being rebuilt at PC'd silver) and Baer rotors from a Contour kit with Rara's brackets.
First, the brackets are first rate for quality and Brian has been very helpful trying to work with me on an install with pics.
I tried to have these installed last September. I was gone racing the Mustang and left them with a good friend (master Audi and MB tech and Cobra modder) for install. He couldn't make them work, saying the brackets spaced the caliper 1/2" off.
Before I bought the rotors off CEG, I called Baer (when I ordered a rebuild kit and their Contour SS lines) and they said they should be the same as a Cobra rotor just redrilled. My friend also measured a stock Cobra rotor against the Baers and he said they seem the same.
I have not had everything in my hands to try and install or compare but I trust my friend.
Anyway, Brian has a Cobra rotor redrilled (still got it I hope) and I've been meaning to meet up with him and do some pics of a mock up for everyone. I think its just a simple fix on mounting the bracket or it could be that the rotors are in fact different.
Unfortunately we don't know of anyone who has installed these other than the prototype.
Maybe we could do when I'm back in the area over Thanksgiving or at least next spring.
Let me know what you think Brian, thanks again for building these and being willing to help the install.
-J

I have 1,432 pms in my inbox,

Ironically, beyond my initial mockups on my car before I sold it, I haven't heard reports of anyone actually installing the brackets I sold on a car yet.

That's crazy that people have purchased the brackets but it seems no one has the urge to report how things went. So let me get this straight, as of right now we only officially know of one car on CEG that has cobra calipers, rotors and pads.

what type of back brake setup will i need to keep the bias under control? stock CSVT or a FSVT setup

That's crazy that people have purchased the brackets but it seems no one has the urge to report how things went. So let me get this straight, as of right now we only officially know of one car on CEG that has cobra calipers, rotors and pads.

what type of back brake setup will i need to keep the bias under control? stock CSVT or a FSVT setup
Hopefully someone else has installed these but not that I've seen.
I was going to use the NPG rear kit.
-J

Yeah, I'm still a bit surprised that nobody has actually bolted these up. I didn't even end up bolting them on my car beyond the check fit of the original prototypes, and the guy who bought my car ended up deciding to not go with bigger brakes (my car already had FSVT front rotors). And biminiLX is the only person that has contacted me at all about installing them.

J, whenever you're ready we can get to it. I still think you're buddy had them situated incorrectly, but even if there is an issue w/ the dims on the brackets (I did use the older Hayes version of the cobra rotor for fit-up, but it shouldn't matter) I now have a small mill in my garage, so we can fix things up no matter how bad it may be, lol.

montrese, the NPG rear kit will work well with both the FSVT front brakes, and the Cobra/Baer 13" front brakes.

I still REALLY want to see someone put a set of 00 Cobra R brembo calipers on thier CSVT. Bagged kept talking about doing it on two cars, and ended up backing out on me, which is how I ended up w/ extra brackets left over in the first place.

@ RARA

well i will surely give you a pm when i have money in hand which will be around November. So all i can do is hope and pray you still have some laying around.

@ RARA

well i will surely give you a pm when i have money in hand which will be around November. So all i can do is hope and pray you still have some laying around.

Currently, I have one set of the "production" anodized brackets that are pretty much spoken for, and I still have the raw aluminum prototype set. I could have more made, but the cost would be very high to get only a single set made.

Currently, I have one set of the "production" anodized brackets that are pretty much spoken for, and I still have the raw aluminum prototype set. I could have more made, but the cost would be very high to get only a single set made.

aluminum is now spoken for:cool:

Back