• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Anyone Bore Out a 3 Liter Engine?

Hydrargyrum

Veteran CEG'er
Has anyone on here bored out a 3L Duratec? I was reading some stuff on the internet, and some guys claim that they have bored it out to make it a 3.1L... I am not that informed about engine boring, but judging from the thickness of the cylinder sleeves, I don't see how they can shave that much off...

If this were true I wonder how much HP/Torque gains one can have? Just an interesting thought...

Last edited:
With header and optimized Y pipe one could optimistically expect 10 more hp at the crank with a increase of displacement from 3.0 to 3.1 liters.

Not worth the price of new pistons, rings, gaskets, bearings and time for a 6 to 10 HP increase. There is a better use of the nearly $1000 it would take just in parts and labor ( with you doing most of the labor ).

around where i live with labor cost it'd be almost 3,000 for a engine to be done properly

If anything, I would offset grind the crank for more stroke if I was doing rods/pistons anyway.
I think more stroke would help this motor more than more bore.
-J

SHOShop did one way back in the day, claimed 3.2L I think by the time they were done, but I'm pretty sure they had a ton of trouble with it and the resulting paper thin cylinder walls.

In the end, Don is right, there just isn't enough benefit there to bother trying on this engine, lots of other routes to go that give more power for less money, and are more reliable.

Back