• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Any tips on care for carbon fiber?

when i bought my car there was oxidation on the cf hood. i assumed it was from heat and exposure so i started waxing it once a week using a cleaner wax and putting on a car cover when i could. it seemed better for a while but now the same spots are getting worse. is there a particular way to bring back the finish or do i need to have a new clearcoat applied to it? and if so, would a normal body repair shop take care of this? i'd appreciate any help or suggestions.

You could try a dedicated polish to remove what sounds like a layer of oxidation... I'd try PowerPolish on a porter-cable with an orange or yellow lake country cutting pad, but you could also try like light compound by hand.

You really need to get beyond the oxidation on the clearcoat before a layer of wax will sustain itself for any length of time.

have a shop wetsand and then spray a high quality clear with UV protectant in it.

What he said. Either it has a poor quality clear coat on it, or the surface resin layer is not UV resistant like it should be. You need to get the damaged surface off (don't go too deep or you will expose the CF mat) and have a good clearcoat applied with UV protection.

Well the CHEAPER less harmful way is to buff it with a polish / light swirl remover than a good sealant.

The wetsanding will reduce that clear coat to ****, so you really need to reapply a clear coat on top.

If those suggestions don't work, you might need to use a marine-grade product or 3M Color Restorer, then follow with a cleaner wax. Maintain regularly with a pure wax.

I would agree, at least take it to a decent place and get thier opinion. It might be a buff out...Or they may suggest reclearing it.....

NVMYSVT said:
have a shop wetsand and then spray a high quality clear with UV protectant in it.

Rara said:
What he said.

Pssssstttttt....Wanna know a secret......

No Richard.......

Last edited:
yup.. I have a vagina. LOL

anyways ANY Carbon Fiber hood should be professionally clearcoated - the majority if not all of them just have an additive in the resin which is not enough protection for an investment like that.

Back