• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Any recommended shops for 3.0 conversion?

SpoonDogSVT

New CEG'er
Hello all-

I've been a lurker for what feels like ages on the board, gleaning tech info and more. Never had questions before since everyone's pretty much hashed things out before me.

However, my 99 SVT's engine is now yelling (rattling, actually) at me that she's probably broke, and the local dealershop (Canby Ford) is recommending a new one. Well, if we decide to replace the engine, I figure upgrading to a 3.0 would only make sense at this point.

So the question is if anyone knows or could recommend a NW (PDX preferably, maybe up to SEA if I tow her behind the Lightning) shop with the knowledge, skill, contacts, etc. to do a conversion?

Thank you for your time!

Most shops will not take on a project like this because they don't like the idea of "custom" Not many shops in the first place would have the slightest clue on how to do it (unless the shop was owned by someone on this site. Your best bet would be to buy an already built 3L from blackcoog at 3lduratec.com and bring that engine to Ford tell them it is a 2.5 and have them do the swap for you.

There are many people who can do this swap. Anyone who can follow directions can get this right. It's been done many times before.

That being said, I don't have any recommended shops to go to. DEFINITELY not the stealership though. You need a shop that's able to follow specific directions and think a little outside the box. They're definitely out there.

Also good that you posted on the boards. I know I would be willing to take on a project like this myself if I hadn't just had back surgery (and gererally too many irons in the fire anyway). Hopefully someone in the NW will have the time to help you out. It's definitely been done, and fairly recently.

buy one from blackcoog , its a direct drop in so the shop wont have to do anything different to swap it in and you get all the power of a 3.0

Thank you again for your responses and wisdom.

I did find blackcoog's 3LDuratec site very shortly after I originally posted, and this will be how I source the new engine, and I'll go with some new headers while we're at it.

I'm still hoping someone in the region can point out a good shop, because I am truly ignorant about what local talent is available outside of the 'stealership' (and this would be so far beyond my skills / resources its not even funny). Heh, and I guess a tuner for after the swap would be asking too much as well. ;) Maybe I'll try posting this to the CA forum as well...

I do have a few hints I can follow, but if anyone hears/knows different, please let me know!

I'm in WA State so I feel your pain. However, I've managed to get virtually all the typical mods done "remotely" (ie., no local shop that has CSVT experience) by doing my homework, printing out directions from threads here and by getting advice from members. Still running a 2.5 but have three very patient buddy's/mechanics who've installed headers, intake, TB, linkage mods, exhaust, etc. for me. Try and find a reputable european or jap tech who's comfortable with stuffed engine bays!

From what I've learned, 3LDuratec definitely is way to go for conversion. I've read comments about how expensive their engines are but I disagree. You get what you pay for. Yeah you can find used blocks, etc., but I'm not inclined to spend the time to do it myself anymore. There's always a learning curve and I've modded enough cars over the years to know that there is always some tooth grinding and knuckle busting that's gonna happen when you DIY.

Dyno tuning available in Portland I think; get in the PNW group and poke around for this - dyno is best. Me, on a tip from a Hardcore CEG'r, got a mail SCT tune from Torrie McPhail @ Unleashed Tuning (Torrie@UnleashedTuning.com) 1-904-859-1744. Took about three tries but the results were impressive. I'm sure a dyno could squeeze a little more power and linear response from the powerband, but Torrie's tune is a viable and much cheaper option. I'd ask Torrie whether the results would be as good with a 3.0 though (I don't see why it wouldn't). Good luck and let me know how it goes - a 3.0 may be in my future!

Thank you again for your responses and wisdom.

I did find blackcoog's 3LDuratec site very shortly after I originally posted, and this will be how I source the new engine, and I'll go with some new headers while we're at it.

I'm still hoping someone in the region can point out a good shop, because I am truly ignorant about what local talent is available outside of the 'stealership' (and this would be so far beyond my skills / resources its not even funny). Heh, and I guess a tuner for after the swap would be asking too much as well. ;) Maybe I'll try posting this to the CA forum as well...

I do have a few hints I can follow, but if anyone hears/knows different, please let me know!
I have a buddy that knows a lot of people. He has several unique cars so may have a guy that thinks out side the box.

AF

Aussie knows some people... Like half of the metro area.

So, you are around Oregon City, have a CSVT and a lightning too? I keep on passing by someone's home over by Gladstone HS that has both. I live about a half mile from there.

New engine ordered, waiting on headers to get restocked, and am about to ebay some 17" FSVT wheels... hoping this was the right decision to fix up the girl vs. spending even more on something new with a loan.

If you do have anyone to recommend, Aussie, I'd love to get their info. Right now all I have lined up is Canby Ford...

And PDX, I'm really up in OC, so that's not me you're passing; plus I lost touch with the local Lightning group (NLOC) when a couple of the 'founders' sold their rigs. Anyway, the Lightning's kinda my garage queen now, while the Contour's my DD with the kiddo's carseat and such.

Thanks guys! If there's interest, I'll keep posting updates, but I know I'm not the 1st to do the 3.0L conversion. Cheers!

Finally starting to get replies back from the local shops: Canby Ford wants ~$3.5k to do the engine + header swap...

That's WAY out of line. You could go and get two more cars for that much $$!

Sounds like aboythatskates is ready to do a swap...others in the area have done swaps as well, just waiting for them to pipe up. I imagine they're pretty busy.

If it is just dropping in 3lDuratec's engine, I could do that for you. I have done 3 complete ported 3L's and 1 complete full 3L. If you have the engine out putting headers on is a non-issue. I went to the swap meett today and saw someone had a set of unused header/y-pipe for sale for $400. I would have grabbed them if I had the money. The swap meet it going again omorrow.

Let me know if you are interested in bringing ttthe car up to monroe, wa - just north of seattle.
Paul

Thanks skate, shot, and bug!

With the engine on it's way to the local depot, I'm kinda 'stuck' with finding a local place now.
(/ponders sticking the engine in the L's bed and the 'tour on a tow-dolly... bah, too much weight and gas)

Still waiting to hear from a few places where I've been leaving messages, but we're looking like min. $2k + incidentals for the install. I knew living kinda 'in the middle of nowhere' would show its downsides eventually. ;)

Wasn't there a guy on this site a little bit over the past year, who lived in Beaverton and dropped a 3.0L into his cougar? I dnr his name right now. Is he still on the boards a bit here, and/or is he on NECO?

PS: Thanks for the update about the cassette deck, Shotwell.

UPDATE: New motor is (finally) in and it's an awesome thing! =D
Replaced a broken motor mount and clutch while it was apart as well. Now just have to fill up the AC and we're fully back in business.

Got a local guy (really right down the street) to do the swap, Ford mechanic and fellow 1/4-mi racer.
If anyone wants his info (Pat F. in Oregon City -- he's looking for more projects), just give a holler.

Thanks for the hints, tips, suggestions and support!

That is excellent news! Just in time for the meet too!

How much R134 do you need to fill the system? I have a few cans kicking around. Someone else I know has more than a few cans...

Can't wait to see it! You're gonna have to take us all for a ride!

Back