• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

amateur photos taken

Best thing you can do is get a real camera. Even today's point and shoot digital cameras have plenty of the adjustment needed to get great shots with no post processing.

Best thing you can do is get a real camera. Even today's point and shoot digital cameras have plenty of the adjustment needed to get great shots with no post processing.

I shot this with my iPhone 4S :shrug: First one no post processing, second one is post.

7898272306_5c85a7b4e7_c.jpg

8587085451_5ef9c5be67_c.jpg

The camera does and does not make a difference. Yes cell phone cameras are better at capturing photos, however there is a time and place for them. If one is going for a high quality photo, like from a photo shoot, then a cell phone camera isn't going to cut it, imho.

To the OP, what is the intent of the photo? What you posted is what you just described, a cell phone photo. But not because its from a cell phone. This is going back to not needing a graet camera to get a good photo.

Yes the car is clearly the subject, but the rest of the photo is just boring, imho. If you want to take a great photo for on the setting/framing/lighting/etc. These items, even with a cheap camera will make a much better photo.

Look back at the past calendars for examples a "amazing pics" that others have took. Look at auto mags and see how the photos where taken.

But over all first determine what you want to get from your photo, and go from there. To me your photo says I just snapped something, doesn't seem like alot of effort was put into it.

i would also say that depending on the goal the photo is to cropped to the car. Look up the rule of 3rds for photos.

The second photo you posted is again just a photo to me. It something that was snapped because it was there. Not sure how that would be improved but I am sure someone can come up with some ways.

Bottom line, get creative.

IMHO, looking through a view finder would greatly improve photos, it did for me. That is something that one will never get with a cell phone camera or many point and shoots.

So set a goal for yourself on what you would like to get out of the photos you are taking.

I got a DSLR and at first only used the automatic setting. Then I tried the no flash setting and then the program mode. Here I was able to control the apature and shutter with out having to control them. The program mode matches the two up based on how the setting is mode. After reading some things about the three point of control, apature, iso and shutter speed I went from there. i used the apature priority mode to start controlling light. From there I ended up using the full manual setting and controlling everything myself. I was getting to the point where I almost didn't need a flash for taking photos. Then I started working using a flash back into my photography, controllin gthe flash output allowed me to get photos that where not washed out. Then I got a basic external flash so that i could bounce flash, this created nice lighting fill without washing the photo out and making it harsh looking. Now I have moved onto a full external flash, and am now starting to learn further light control. From there I want to get into working with a remote flash.

sky is the limit, have fun.

Last edited:
Back