• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

alt died

myclodel

CEG'er
Anybody local have an alt that could get me by till I can by a nice one? . Think it just died on me...

I found that you can drive quite a distance on just the battery. I est. as much as 150 miles. You do have to do this do it the day time and try not to use any power options such as radio and lights.
I had to do this a few weeks back when mine died on the way from Chicago to Toledo, OH. The alt. was dying on the way there and totally expired on the return trip. I bought a new battery and when my installed battery died I installed the new one and made it home with no problems.

Yeah well I guess it's been dying over the last few days. Bat light flashed now and then. With the alt dead it killed the bat. Had to jump/charge it. About 5 to 10 min off that I could drive for 1 to 5 miles before recharging haha. Had to do it 5 times to get it home. =D

whats a good better then stock alt for these cars, Bout to start searching for that now, I have a friend thats getting his discount price for me.

Thanks for the offer John, but I'm not scared to get my hands dirty lol. Wouldn't mind a price though if you could track one down. I would 'like' to get a nice one thats bigger then stock, to go good with the stereo, but was not planning on doing so this soon. I was thinking of checking out the jy by me that has a csvt if I can't find anybody that has one. Had a pm on one, and mentioned dimming headlights after 6500rpm. If I cant find one, I may get that and have it rebuilt with extra wraps down the road from me.

Worst case, I'll get this one, its 130 amps http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...=Search_01468_1304019_3337&pt=01468&ppt=C0330 99 bucks at murrays, but with a discount.

Ide like to get a really nice one, but just not at this time, I hate to waste 100 bucks on that one, but if another stocker is going to die(also using my stereo, its a 5 channel, but total rms for all speakers/sub would only 540watts rms between the 4 speakers and sub). I may get one like this until I can get a nice one. Any of you replace with non stock type? If so hows it working out? Ive read the stock alts sucks with a stereo of even low wattage...

*edit*
If I was gona spend the money now, Ide prolly get the one from knukonceptz, http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=7775 for 240 bucks. Im just not ready to do that just yet. I will have the motor out of the car doing a bunch of work in the next month or two, and was planning on getting the nice alt at that time. Really thinkng about the knukonceptz one.

Just to get by until then is what I'm after.

Sweet, its all good. Ended up being of of the wires that goes to the fuse for the foglights. Fuse was 'good' looking, but mangled, prolly how how the connection was messed. Fixed that, jumped it, unplugged the bat, and she still ran. Just got back from a 20 min run, shes goin' strong, even the the system goin again, no probs.

Back