• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Almost purchased another CSVT

Swazo

Hard-core CEG'er
I almost became a non-troll today, but..... I still am a troll.

I was looking at an E1 in T-red and tan leather. More or less perfect interior and exterior given it's age, but a thrashed 2.5L that won't even turn over with the aid of the starter and a trans that "grinded a lot if you weren't careful".

The guy wouldn't budge from $800 and is keeping CEG from seeing the first RWD CSVT :mad:

I know it's not that bad of a deal. But, I am willing to wait for a better deal to come around. I've missed out on a couple of sub-$500 CSVT's.

But, for now I mainly passed because my Impala is still under construction and I have to move out of my current shop and into another in the next month. Once I have a set shop size, if I have room for a CSVT......... then it'll be on like Kong!

You need to learn to play with the cars from the other side of the pond, they are much more fun.

But, I will agree with everyone else, buy the damn SVT. I let mine go for half that price and it was trashed. I still do have a certain supercharger though.

Still, to do what I want to do to a Contour...... I'd have to get it cheap. The new front subframe/steering/suspension would be about $1500. Rear suspension and axle would be about the same. Then there are brakes, driveshaft, fuel system, transmission and other changes that would just make this venture not very reasonable.

I could source more from salvage yards to bring the cost down quite a bit, but that doubles trial and error time.

I've already got my hands pretty full with my Impala at the moment, and any distraction would push that project back. Until I can get a new shop where I have room to just let a car and it's parts for the project sit....... this is hitting the back burner. :(

With Gomba having done an AWD Contour, I thought I'd venture into a Duratec powered RWD Contour. No problems getting it registered, a beefy.... actual transmission (T5), a new subframe sporting a mustang II crossmember and most likely an 8.8 suspended in a tri-angulated 4-link w/coilover shocks config.

Like I mentioned before, if I tried salvage yard parts I could do this pretty cheap. A universal type MII crossmember is only a couple of hundred bucks, and some other aftermarket type parts would be ideal though.

Taking a step back, I'm just using a modified method people use with lead sleds and hot rods. Only....... I'm doing it to a econo-car that I couldn't hope to recoup a dime out of. I still want to do it when I get the space and I'm just going to start gathering the misc parts before getting the actual car. They take up a lot less space, and could be used in many different potential projects or simply just sold off if I don't follow through.

Wooooooo!

The pre-98 I've been low balling for the last few months is caving! He sold the other POS slushbox car, and is looking to get rid of the semi-sweet mod'd MTX car. I might get out of Trolldom by the end of the weekend......

I got a deal here in AZ, maybe someone can fix it, hate to see it get torn apart since its in such great shape, well minus the crash! You can see the post with all the info on the car and pics of it in the general under Crash and not a week old or pm/email me for info. Its up in Cottonwood right now, near Sedona. I posted the car for $1200 on Craigslist tonight and got some emails but if someone here wants it, I'd rather it go to a CEGer. I don't mean to make this a classified add, just putting it out to you guys in AZ, maybe you can fix it or use it for parts. I don't have Classified "privileges" yet.

Back