• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Almost done alternator... tierod problem

BRad_Z

New CEG'er
Hey guys,

I just replaced my alternator (what a f*ckin chore). Anyways, I'm all back together except one thing. I'm trying to reconnect the steering (tierod i guess?), but when I turn the nut the entire joint spins with it. I can't get more than a few threads on when this happens.

What's the trick??

look at the bottom of the tie rod end and you will see that you can use an allen wrench to keep it from spinning while you tighten the nut

If your tie-rod end spun, your alignment has been changed.

Well, THAT will make a difference (not a difference to the alignment, but to whether or not I was right or wrong.. lol)

i think he is talking about the part where it bolts to the hub, not where the adjustment is made, so the alignment wouldn't have changed

Yes, that is what I was talking about.

Ray: Thank you for writting the alternator replacement how-to. It was very helpful. Could not have done the repair without it. One thing I noted, was when removing the lower bolt I was able to use just a ratchet with a 13mm deep socket. No crazy extension required. That 10mm bolt was a sonofa***** though.

Back