• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

All the toys!

how loud is it?? the whine??

Well, I found out the initial whine is the HVAC lighting running interference with that black relay box.

The noise isn't just a small whine like it used to be. When you turn on the car, you hear the alternator. It increases according to the RPM. Turn on the lights, and it becomes unbearable. Turn on the fan for the heat...and you'll here that in the speakers. Windows, door locks, you name it and you'll hear it. For Christ sake I can even hear it beeping when it starts to read a CD I insert. I don't understand why this happened so suddenly, and I did my best from not kicking the **** out of the car.

aw don't smash the car, that's not gonna fix anything!

i wish you didn't live so far away, i'd do whatever i could to help you out. perhaps a trip to a stereo shop might be in order??

perhaps a trip to a stereo shop might be in order??

I Just got back from one actually. He looked at it for free. He's pretty confident it's my CD player's pre-outs. He doesn't know how they went bad, but he's sure they did.

hey man, i've been in your shoes before. you're relieved that there is a solution to the problem! no matter what it is lol!!

hopefully everythings running smoothly for you soon.

you know its very easy to get the seat belts off the seats right?. theres just a torx screw under the seat that holds it on. thougth id let you know that way u can take them out really easily. and i hope hope hope that the whinning is only becuase of the pre outs. that way you dont have to keep looking.

also found out today i cant use my 98 dash becuase i dont have the proper passenger side airbag cover. so i guess im using the 2000 dash instead. my intierior should be done by this weekend.

I know there's a torx nut there, but it's a matter of having the proper torx application. All I have is the Torx sockets for a ratchet, which then it won't really fit in there even remotely.

Good luck on your interior install! I have a question for you though. The seatbelts you said you found, are they actually MNB or are they from the blue interior of a regular Contique? If they're from a regular Contique, you might have a coloration variance...unless you bought ALL 5. from the same car.

Guys, its either a T50 or T55 Torx socket. I've had the seats out of my SVT plenty of times. You got the tools, you got the talent.

the front arent from an svt but the back are. they match pretty well. i saw a regular tour with mnb regular interior and pulled the passenger side airbag cover and it matches almost perfecty. so we snagd the belts too. i have some left over misc interior pieces too if you need any just pm me

So, today I have the stereo situation almost under control. A different deck yielded much better results. Though I still have a whine with the volume down. I'm not sure what I need to do, but I'm going to try any/all of the following.

1. Reground the amplifiers in ONE central location, and maybe shortening the ground cable a little bit.
2. A trick someone LUCA knows told me about. Grounding the RCA's.
3. Just turn the gain down on the amp.

Also, once again I have to greatly thank LUCA and her husband for being the only reason anything gets done on my car. :laugh:

I'll have pictures tomorrow of all the aesthetic progress we made. As for mechanical, the MIL Eliminators finally went on to get rid of my P0420 code. It's so nice to drive without the CEL light on. :crazy:

She's almost where I want her!

Really, this time it was Ken who did the helping, not me. I just clear coated a few parts.

Here's what went on:

Jack cover:
Jackcover.jpg

He now has two covers on the passenger side: :)
Twojackcovers.jpg

The fresh painted jack cover really sticks out, it's color matched to the car. I hope when the side skirt is clean that it blends in better.

Mesh and trim ring:

meshandtrimring.jpg

Rear mesh:

rearmesh.jpg

The interior going back together:

goingbacktogether.jpg

alltogether.jpg

interiordone.jpg

Glenn's snack:

Glennssnack.jpg

o0o much better! wht's the lower trim look glossy black and the rest looks flat??

as far as the little whine...i can't believe i never thought it was those inverters for the gauges. i wonder if there's any way to shield them better?

Yes, it does look much better. :) Things are coming along nicely.

The radio trim piece was painted black that's why it's glossy.

I'm thinking we need to paint the gauge surround also so it all matches. The door handle trim pieces were painted too.

I got to looking at the vents in the gauge cluster, and I think they'll paint perfectly fine. So that means I can paint the entire surround. :laugh:

I think the Rainbow Rice Krispies treats were his favorite.

:laugh:

No one made mention of his "star" tattoo.

Back