• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

airbag light with no code?

Well, I guess what im asking is if obdii emissions test machines will see the code for the airbag. We do have a visual saftey inspection, but the place I take it doesnt really seem to care. I have no cats and they haven't said anything about the eye watering nox bellowing out of my tail pipe in the bay...

What im trying to figure out is if the machine will fail the car for air bags... the inspection sheet doesnt show a test for it...

Well, I guess what im asking is if obdii emissions test machines will see the code for the airbag. We do have a visual saftey inspection, but the place I take it doesnt really seem to care. I have no cats and they haven't said anything about the eye watering nox bellowing out of my tail pipe in the bay...

What im trying to figure out is if the machine will fail the car for air bags... the inspection sheet doesnt show a test for it...

IF they inspect for any SRS issues, yes they could. If the machine focuses on emission only, any DTC that is not related to the engine still will pass.

That said, if they find mods that eliminate a component of the emission system, or alter the location of sensors, such as the o2 sensor mods, it will fail. At least here, if the emission component is missing or altered and sniffer tests show abnormal levels of emission output, it will be failed with no waiver allowed. My friend has a Dodge truck that has the emission equipment removed and he can't get it licensed until he replaces the equipment. Here, inspectors look under the car with a mirror and visually inspect everything.

Everything looks stock. I've been passing for 4 years like this... no sniffers in this state. Just obdii...

As I said, it depends on the state and test requirements. Here they OBD2 check it, but they test the function of the cats by monitoring the o2 sensor readings and do a sniffer check, plus do a visual under the car. The shop my friend owns is certified to repair emission equipment and is authorized to sign off on waivers. He is required to look for o2 sensor spacers and check for cat function. If he suspects the cat may be gutted, he cannot sign off on waiver. Same for missing equipment. In CA, they also require testing, which must pass prior to the sale of a car.

Check with your state department of public safety, often who handles inspections, or whoever does in your state. Somewhere online they usually detail things that are necessary to pass inspect including airbags. Here in Texas the airbags are not required to work to pass, the bad light can do whatever it wants, you just cannot have a MIL for the engine.

Check with your state department of public safety, often who handles inspections, or whoever does in your state. Somewhere online they usually detail things that are necessary to pass inspect including airbags. Here in Texas the airbags are not required to work to pass, the bad light can do whatever it wants, you just cannot have a MIL for the engine.

Thanks!

Back