• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Air intake

00csvt22

New CEG'er
Ok so I just bought my first csvt its a 2000 and I'm wondering about the intake...mainly the filter cuz it just comes out toward the fender anjust hangs there. No mount or box and I'm wondering if anyone would know anything about this or how I could make a dust shield or box for it? Thanks

Okay so u have just a short ram intake.
A lot of guys on here run just that with no issue I have for a while. You could worse out a heat shield on here no problem. I just sold the one I had it was a pud shield I bought for 70 bucks and it was Megan and made a world of difference.

2012-05-06_18-00-03_HDR.jpg

Or you could get the fender well cold air intake NPG offers but it is expensive. A guy on here bought a small trash can made of plastic and dremoled it out to work and it looked decent also. If you're trying to just make something for now.

It's just a home made ram air kit nothing to really worry about but I'd get a real one to be honest it'd be more effective.

Alright thanks for the help guys. I'm just lookin for somethin for now. I think I might try the trash can thing lol. But thanks for the tips.

It's just a home made ram air kit nothing to really worry about but I'd get a real one to be honest it'd be more effective.

Whats more effective about spending a pile of money for a mass produced piece of plastic that does the same exact thing he already has?

Short ram intakes look ghetto. NPG or stock w/ K&N FTW.

True that.

That is very subjective. I think the SRI looks way better than a NPG CAI. To me, aftermarket CAI says "I like throwing money away".
Now, the heat shields, THOSE look ghetto. Trash cans? Pipe insulation? Really? Your telling him what he has looks ghetto and suggesting a trash can in the same conversation?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what you have right now. Unless you dont like the appearance, dont worry about it.
A factory SVT intake is a good option if you want to restore a factory look without wasting a bunch of money.
The NPG CAI gets all the glory as the "best available", but realize that our stock intakes are already cold air intakes, and perform just as well with a high flow filter installed. That SRI you already have, although it sucks relatively warm air from the engine bay instead of the fender, will still perform just fine for as long as you want it to.

One question though, where is your IAT? It looks like there is a hole on top of your filter adapter for the temp sensor, but there is nothing there. Does it tap in on the side where we cant see it in the photo? If that really is an unused hole on top, you should fill it or cover it to prevent anything getting sucked in unfiltered.

I will have to check out the IAT and see where it's located and see about the hole...glad you noticed it cuz I did even pay attention. Thanks for the help

Whats more effective about spending a pile of money for a mass produced piece of plastic that does the same exact thing he already has?

That is very subjective. I think the SRI looks way better than a NPG CAI. To me, aftermarket CAI says "I like throwing money away".
Now, the heat shields, THOSE look ghetto. Trash cans? Pipe insulation? Really? Your telling him what he has looks ghetto and suggesting a trash can in the same conversation?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with what you have right now. Unless you dont like the appearance, dont worry about it.
A factory SVT intake is a good option if you want to restore a factory look without wasting a bunch of money.
The NPG CAI gets all the glory as the "best available", but realize that our stock intakes are already cold air intakes, and perform just as well with a high flow filter installed. That SRI you already have, although it sucks relatively warm air from the engine bay instead of the fender, will still perform just fine for as long as you want it to.

One question though, where is your IAT? It looks like there is a hole on top of your filter adapter for the temp sensor, but there is nothing there. Does it tap in on the side where we cant see it in the photo? If that really is an unused hole on top, you should fill it or cover it to prevent anything getting sucked in unfiltered.

His AIT is in the factory location. The hole you see is already plugged. And I never said to use a garbage can. All I said is that a guy on here did it before. And the heat shields how is that ghetto?

His AIT is in the factory location.
Admittedly, I have never seen an SVT airbox IRL, but isnt the factory location on the airbox?
The hole you see is already plugged.
I kind of thought so, but its a very small photo so just checking
And I never said to use a garbage can. All I said is that a guy on here did it before. And the heat shields how is that ghetto?
Thats my point. "Ghetto" is a very subjective concept. I have yet to see a heat shield that I liked, but thats me. Some people are into bunched up pipe insulation jammed onto a cut up trash can, other people are into spending hundreds of dollars for effectively the same thing. In the end, neither one of them make a shred of difference to the car as long as its setup correctly.
I am 100% positive some people would say my setup is ghetto, and I would agree to a certain extent, but it achieved what I was looking for at the time...The biggest filter I could fit in the space available, still piped into the fender, minimal expense.

Back