• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ah more work

jd2-98s

Veteran CEG'er
Well a few weeks ago I was driving the mystique into work and about halfway there it shut down coming up to a traffic light. Wouldn't start back up. A trooper came out of no where and pushed me over to the breakdown lane.

I turned the key on and off and swore the pump wasn't coming on or couldn't hear it with the cars flying by. Called work got a tow. Went out on lunch and it started up. Tried it again and again a few days straight. Wouldn't shut off, no matter how long it would run. Tried wiggle test on harness and wires. Had a few pending codes, lean codes, and one p0320 engine speed/dist sensor. Which points to CKP and Coil. I threw a pump at it (125000 miles on it anyway) and didn't cost me much threw work. Drove it home with out a problem.

Next morring go to work with it again (other car was left at work) dies 15mins later at the Dunk and Donuts. I didn't want to call work again so I left it there and called a cab to take me back to the house and drove the Titan into work (goodbye gas).

I let them know the car would have to sit there a few days. They had no problem with it. I grab a coil pack and a CKP from work. Took all my equipment with me and the F'n thing started. Said to myself screw this put the coil and CKP in it anyway and then saw that the wiring was missing it's jacket for the crank sensor plug and most of the harness was cracked on the upper half of the engine.

Soooo, yeah I don't like to throw parts, at work I usally spend more timing testing to be 150% sure before I install something. But with my car, I figured 200 for pump, filter, tank filter, coil, and CKP sensor not bad at all. I hit off the junkyard and found a 2.5 liter with a pretty damn good harness, I didn't pull the whole thing just the section I wanted which is crank, cam, tps, iac, injectors, sender, front 02 and coil pack. So I'm going to go into the garage down stairs and put it in. I so wish the car wouldn't run so I could of caught what it was. but the P0320 was logged again at the dunk and donuts lot. I guess the mistake was the pump but again for the price and it's age, not a total waste. Even though the wires didn't touch it still isn't good and might be a factor. But now the girl won't ride in it LOL and doesn't want me to drive it to work. And I have someone that wanted to buy it but I won't sell it until I'm 100% sure it's fixed.

Ok gave myself the kiss of death as we say at work. Seems the computer side of the harness where it connects into the other half i picked up is falling apart (yeah) soooo. I know they didn't have a MTX 2.5L there..... Thinking last option without spending money, hand soldier the wires to repair them. Maybe bypass the connector and have it hardwired in. Or wait till I can find a MTX 2.5l with a good harness.... Unlikely.

I'm not one to give up too easy... Seems only the crank sensor harness and cam sensor harness are the only ones affected. Both have a shield to ground running inside the jacket, this is most likely so no interference is picked up by the wires from radio transmission or secondary coil output and screw with the signal from the crank or cam sensor.

I kept cutting back further and further down the run only to find it was all breaking apart. Look around the garage I found some wire with a shield that did the trick. I have to wait till Monday so I can splice in a new connector but this is what I've done so far.

Sorry camera phone pics again.

SSPX0143-1.jpg

SSPX0144.jpg

SSPX0148.jpg

SSPX0147.jpg
SSPX0149.jpg

SSPX0150.jpg

SSPX0145.jpg

SSPX0146.jpg

Yes a little bit, but will make it driveable again (I hope).

I'm kicking myself a bit for not checking the wiring, though I was going threw moving the harness here and there, I should of known better with this car. With all the info on here about bad engine bay harness.

As far as the rest of it goes, like removing the upper intake plenum, it had to be done. I have plugs and wires to go in. There is lean codes, also a broken bolt for the upper plenum I have to extract. Most likely going to pull the lower/secondary and clean it out at the shop. Also replace the valve cover gaskets.

I can't believe you're able to track that down ... I wouldn't know where to start! :shocked:

Back