• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Aftermarket Turbo In CA

bradSVT

CEG'er
I wanted to know what you CEG'ers knew about the rules and regulations regarding having an aftermarket turbo on our cars. I believe it is not allowed. I didnt know if anyone has had a car with it and had it smogged or what? Just thinking about getting the new setup but am worried that I would need to take it off every two years to get smogged.

Thanks for any info!

i think the answer you got from the GB forum was a appropriate one in terms of using the kit and getting by:

Dude, you're talking about a half a weekend worth of work every two years. Just keep your y-pipe and main cat pipe and you're good.

The only reason I say this is because California will NEVER make emmisions laws less strict. They will only get stricter.

i intend on doing exactly this; saving parts that are removed and spending the time replace parts when that special time comes. as for rules and regs, someone else can chime in or you can read something about this on the dmv's website about cali law.

I wanted to know what you CEG'ers knew about the rules and regulations regarding having an aftermarket turbo on our cars. I believe it is not allowed. I didnt know if anyone has had a car with it and had it smogged or what? Just thinking about getting the new setup but am worried that I would need to take it off every two years to get smogged.

Thanks for any info!

If the kit is not CA CARB ODB2 compliant, it is illegal. However, that does not necessarily mean it won't pass the sniffer test. In that case you would have to know someone to pass it for you

I know as long as the CEL isn't on and the turbo has a CARB # registered for use on the vehicle it should be ok. I live in NorCal but none of the emmissions laws apply to my car because it's registered in Wayne County Ohio. aahhh the loopholes that being in the military provides you with. I have a lot of stuff on my car that in cali would normally be not allowed but they cannot touch or inspect it under their regs. but if they know ohio regs then they can get me on them. nothing on my car is concidered illegal in ohio though so I'm good.

the problem is it wont pass the visual inspection. there are plenty of turbo'd cars in CA. somebody always knows someone who can get it passed for $$. the only main problem i see is that CA is starting to randomly require people to go to a smog only place, leaving less possibilities of where to take it. BUT, somebody probably knows someone who owns one of those too. its BIG trouble if somebody gets caught doing this. HUGE fines from the state.

If we allow the catalytic substrate material to get hot enough, prior to inspection, our cars ought to pass the sniffer test no problem. People have suggested using header wrap on pretty much everything located upstream from the cat. Well, maybe not the up-pipe. Just make sure that you drive the piss out of your car before pulling into the test station & get that cat nice & hot. I know for a fact that a N/A contour with headers and NO main cat WILL pass the sniffer test. As such, I have no doubts that a boosted 3L WITH, a functioning main cat, will pass as well.

Personally, I'm more worried about the visual. I'll still have a main cat, but hopefully I'll get a REAL MORON to check the engine bay.

"Hey, what's that turbo looking thing over here?"

"That? Oh, that's just an extra A/C compressor- you know how hot it gets here..." - (while you discreetly slip him a twenty).

Last edited:
Keep in mind that California now has rolling test stations that are manned by CHP. I've seen several of them here in So. Cal. They also have portable sniffers that sit on the side of the road and use some type of infrared scanner to look for polluters (although those scanners are in the testing phase from what I understand).

Now that being said, my car just passed last year, 3.0 and MSDS headers. My car tested cleaner than the old 2.5 that was in there with the three cats in place. My car may pass visual if the guy doesn't look too hard for the precats, but a turbo will never pass visual. That's the chance you'll be taking if you get pulled by CHP/local PD and they want you to pop the hood.

My 98 SVT has to go to 'test only' stations since my first test, while my 00 BMW M roadster can to go any test/repair station. Go figure.

My 98 SVT has to go to 'test only' stations since my first test, while my 00 BMW M roadster can to go any test/repair station. Go figure.

Damn - it's a contour conspiracy. I've been stuck with test only stations since my first trip as well, that'd be 3 times now. Kinda sucks 'cause I can never find the coupons for test only places so I have to spend like 10-20 bucks more.

Anyone ever try and test with chip in, do they actually plug into the OBD port? I have a fordchips chip that deletes a bunch of the monitors (no downstream O2 monitor, doesnt even check heater circuit, no EGR checks either) - and I've always wondered what would happen if I left in when I showed up.

I live in the mountains(still in california) and we dont have to smog. only when a car changes hands. But when i lived in sd. i had to smog at a test only station. and twice i went to the same place. and neither time did they open the hood. There was no visual inspection either times. And i clearly have an aftermarket exaust. So maybe they were just lazy, but either way there are people out there, who dont do visuals.

And i clearly have an aftermarket exaust. So maybe they were just lazy, but either way there are people out there, who dont do visuals.

Aftermarket exhaust is fine. So long as it meets the noise regs, anything after the cat is ok. And I've failed visual for having a K&N instead of a stock airbox, so for whatever that's worth....

*Must move out of California" I'm making a list and going on a road trip this spring/summer to find a more car friendly state to move to. :cool:
Karl

I have been to plenty of states. CA is the place for me. I am just worried that if I get this turbo kit I will get pulled over and have my engine checked. I am already worried when I drive around since I have no cat. Plenty of reasons to be pulled over, tint, no front license plate, loud, no cat. + turbo? I guess I will just have to get over it.

Keep in mind that California now has rolling test stations that are manned by CHP. I've seen several of them here in So. Cal. They also have portable sniffers that sit on the side of the road and use some type of infrared scanner to look for polluters (although those scanners are in the testing phase from what I understand).

You are not required to be submitted to the "rolling test" stations. As long as your car is currently registered all you have to say is that my car is tested every two years like everyone else has to, I know my rights, and I don't have time for this. You are under no legal obligation to comply with the test.

Aftermarket exhaust is fine. So long as it meets the noise regs, anything after the cat is ok. And I've failed visual for having a K&N instead of a stock airbox, so for whatever that's worth....
Yea i know that, but seeing and hearing a loud aftermarket exaust would tell the guy this car is not stock, and he still didint look under the hood. That was the point that some guys out there just dont care. And 90% of cops arent gonna pull you over if your missing a front licinse plate. He might use it as an exuse to pull you over if your speeding/ doing anything else stupid. or have an exesivly loud car.

You thinking of getting the turbo kit, Harley?

yea, i have been saving the money since i moved up here. so i have the capital. plus they dont smog up here. exept when the car changes hands.
My motor does have 110k on it, and even with mobil 1 its whole life. it is a early 98 so im sure it has the earler pistons with the weak ring lands. so how long it would last i dont know, which is fine, just get a 3, swap cams, do a little grinding, and vola you have a monster,but then your looking at alot more than just 3k for a turbo. plus i need struts bad. so thats another 5bills. so i quickly see my bank account draining. Ill prob. just wait a while and see, how everyones kit is doing. maybe wait and pick one up in the classifieds.

Back