• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Aftermarket Clutches

I am interested in getting a new clutch for my 98 CSVT. I'm sure there have been other posts made about clutches, but I am wondering if you all have any suggestions as to what brand of clutch would be the best route to go. Thanks.

Jack

Do not buy anything before you have thouroughly researched the topic ad nauseum. I would start here and here. Keywords Spec, Sachs, LUK, Clutch Masters, OEM clutch, SVT clutch, aftermarket clutch.

That being said, I have what RawBurt suggested and it has worked out for well for me.

Definately do some research before going out and buying one. I'm still doing research to figure out which would be the best for my (future) turbo'd 3.0.

I am interested in getting a new clutch for my 98 CSVT. I'm sure there have been other posts made about clutches, but I am wondering if you all have any suggestions as to what brand of clutch would be the best route to go. Thanks.

Jack
Sounds like you haven't read any posts on clutches or you wouldn't have preficed your post by saying "I'm sure there have been other posts..." Had you read any earlier posts you'd have seen that staying with the stock SVT clutch is a preferred way to go unless you're running a lot more than stock horsepower.
Karl

I bought my car with the spec stage II already in it and I really like how it drives. I still wouldn't suggest it just because its the only clutch that people recommend not to get. I definately have given it its share of abuse and it doesn't slip a bit. After driving my friends stock clutch yesterday it makes me wish I had a little smoother engagement. I also think the spec stage one is the way to go.

The stock SVT clutch is an extremely reliable clutch. It will even hold up well to a lightly modified 3.0. Unless you are planning on a 3.0 with forced induction I wouldn't consider anything else.

There have been a rash of complaints on Spec clutches in the last year or so. Until there is better evidence of them curing their quility problems, I would avoid them like the plague.

The stock SVT clutch is an extremely reliable clutch. It will even hold up well to a lightly modified 3.0. Unless you are planning on a 3.0 with forced induction I wouldn't consider anything else.

There have been a rash of complaints on Spec clutches in the last year or so. Until there is better evidence of them curing their quility problems, I would avoid them like the plague.

Amen. I chose a stock clutch for my 2.5 running N2O when we had to pull my Spec 3. For reliability, drivability, and QC standards, it really is the best option; I think it was warmonger who ran one with a turbo 3l with success for a while. That said, it's entirely possible you'll get a good Spec, if you choose to go that route, I just chose to go with a tried and true method.

This advice about SVT clutches being highly regarded should be in a sticky or FAQ or something with all the questions about aftermarket clutches we get. It seems people don't read what's been put in stone many many times before. I know I get tired of beating the same drum and I'd just let it go except for all the knashing of teeth when people find out they made a mistake on going the aftermarket route when they didn't need to. :shrug:
Karl

Amen. I chose a stock clutch for my 2.5 running N2O when we had to pull my Spec 3. For reliability, drivability, and QC standards, it really is the best option; I think it was warmonger who ran one with a turbo 3l with success for a while. That said, it's entirely possible you'll get a good Spec, if you choose to go that route, I just chose to go with a tried and true method.

lets not forget a number of those failures where from installation problems, not directly related to Spec. I only ever recall reading about one or two people that received a bad clutch.

but bottom line is everyone needs to read the provided data and pick what they want for their car.

lets not forget a number of those failures where from installation problems, not directly related to Spec. I only ever recall reading about one or two people that received a bad clutch.

but bottom line is everyone needs to read the provided data and pick what they want for their car.
Well, they must be tricky to install or something as I haven't seen one case of a problem with the SVT clutch. At any rate, that is also something people need to keep in mind - ease of installation.
Karl

Well, they must be tricky to install or something as I haven't seen one case of a problem with the SVT clutch. At any rate, that is also something people need to keep in mind - ease of installation.
Karl

Actually, that is a good point... I'm sure it's happened, but I haven't really read about botched stock clutch installs....

I hear the Spec Stage One/Flywheel is awesome. QBCSVT has a Spec stage 3+/flywheel and it makes some wierd noise if you try to manipluate the clutch because it always is trying to grab hard.

But his car pulls much harder and due to the flywheel the rpms shoot up much faster than mine. but right now his engine is broken so I WIN:shrug:.

Back