• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

AFE Pro Dry S air filter - good flow?

bxd20

CEG'er
I've used the stock air filter all these years and been satisfied.

Then I read on the forums about the AFE Pro Dry S. "OE replacement" drop in filter. I liked the fact that the synthetic media is supposed to flow better than the stock paper while being a dry (no oil) filter that can be washed and reused.

It came today and I'm concerned. What came is very similar to the filter in the center of the group of filters shown here:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/d...1110010.html?apwcid=P1135867996W43b3f85c7ab9e

So it's not an exact replacement for our stock filters. The stock filter has a "bullet" shape at the intake end where it comes to a dull point, that would seem to promote very smooth air flow entering the filter. The "tip" of the AFE filter is flat, and kind of wide. It blocks a lot of the intake cylinder.

My first impression is that I will loose more air flow due to that flat tip than I will gain due to the better media. Air has to make a sharp turn around that corner.

Do I have a valid concern? I doubt anyone has dyno'd the AFE filter in our cars.

I've used the stock air filter all these years and been satisfied.

Then I read on the forums about the AFE Pro Dry S. "OE replacement" drop in filter. I liked the fact that the synthetic media is supposed to flow better than the stock paper while being a dry (no oil) filter that can be washed and reused.

It came today and I'm concerned. What came is very similar to the filter in the center of the group of filters shown here:

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/d...1110010.html?apwcid=P1135867996W43b3f85c7ab9e

So it's not an exact replacement for our stock filters. The stock filter has a "bullet" shape at the intake end where it comes to a dull point, that would seem to promote very smooth air flow entering the filter. The "tip" of the AFE filter is flat, and kind of wide. It blocks a lot of the intake cylinder.

My first impression is that I will loose more air flow due to that flat tip than I will gain due to the better media. Air has to make a sharp turn around that corner.

Do I have a valid concern? I doubt anyone has dyno'd the AFE filter in our cars.

i haven't heard of anyone using this filter. what your describing shouldn't be an issue whatsoever. most say the K&N drop-in is one of the best filters to go with. i have one and from my personal experience i believe so too. i like the open unit so i put a KKM intake on mine, but i still have the entire stock unit with a k&n drop in. you could probably pick one up for the same price as the one you have posted. its reuseable as well and is very popular when it comes to svt contours. the k&n filter looks simliar to the stock paper one. (the dull point on the end)

Its not really a valid concern. If air was being forced into the filter housing then the shape of the tip would be a concern (think wind tunnel) but its being gently (relatively) sucked into the housing and through the filter.

That being said they are great filters. As far as I know I'm the only other person with one and I've loved it for a year now. I tapped it clean the other day when cleaning my throttle body and things were spotless inside the boot unlike other cars that have had K&N filters previously installed. My choice was completely on keeping dirt out of the engine and oil based on used oil analysis data that showed a jump in dirt when a K&N or other brand cotton gauze and oil filter was used.

That being said they are great filters. As far as I know I'm the only other person with one and I've loved it for a year now. .

I have one on my car as well. It was much cheaper than a K&N. I like how i don't have to oil it and the great reviews from people about the brand.

It is definitely a quality made filter.

Yeah over on BITOG they show great levels for silica (dirt) compared to the usual stock paper filter.

Back