• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

A new challenger to the Contour

Aussie Ford

Hard-core CEG'er
my 02 Dodge 4.7L SOHC is every bit the PIA to work on as any Tour, perhaps more so!

I have a blown head gasket that I am replacing and let me just say that after two days I have managed to drain the coolant, pull the alt & AC, remove the intake manifold, and pull the crank pulley. In a bunch more steps I might get a head pulled.

And there are special tools needed for almost every step. For example when I get to install head bolts, they give a torque spec that you reach in two steps but then you need to turn the bolt another 90 degrees. That takes a special tool, a torque angle guage. Napa had one .... it was a piece of plastic for $55! Shortyman found me one at Auto Zone for $10, this was at least steel. And I still haven't found an adjustable pin spanner wrench needed to pull the cam sprockets, which are torqued to 90lbs. They mentioned a special valve spring compressor that is used to remove the rockers, but it only works on 03 and later.... you did notice mine is an 02! so that means the cams will rotate and need to be held in place with vice grips. Did I mention there are 3 timing chains to deal with......

More whining later,

AF

Finally after much crap.... (can you say crap in the forum?) I got to the point I needed to be at and... P8180001..JPG
I got the first headbolt out......!
P8180004..JPG
The rest were a lot easier but that first one was a killer.... Lifted off the head and...
P8180009..JPG
The cylinders look really good. Ain't doing anything with them....
P8180032..JPG
On each head the top rear exhaust manifold bolt was missing and the bottom one was broken off. Since this was new I have used Castrol Synthetic and was a bit surprised at the color of the heads, but everywhere the oil was it was really slick.
P8180014..JPG
The bad: there may be crack from the plug hole to the valve opening.....
I have the heads at a shop now and should find out on Mon what the outcome will be $$$$$$'s for sure.

I have new timing chains and related stuff on the way. Need to get this mess cleaned up and ready to go back together. This is one PIA & pocketbook engine to deal with....! Maybe I should put a 3.0L in my 95 while I'm waiting on parts. I know that even though I haven't done that swap I could do it easier that working on this.... and remember the 95 is a four banger.... LOL

AF

More whining sure to come!

Thanks for the encouragement fellas...... While I'm waiting on my heads I'm changing the rear drum brakes on my 95 to disc's.

One has to keep busy you know.

AF

I got my heads back on Thurs. They were pressure tested, and checked out ok. I had a valve job done and new stem seals installed, they look new again. Today I installed the exhaust manifolds it was a time finding some bolts to replace the 4 broken and missing ones. Then I got the heads installed. I don't ever want to do another engine that you have to use an angle guage on. What a PIA! :crazy:
P8270029..JPG
P8270031..JPG
P8270023..JPG
P8270025..JPG
P8270041..JPG

Only about 50 more things to go....!!! :nonono:

AF

Good to see it's coming along.

You should drop by and see the Dodge in front of my house. Hint: has only 6 cylinders ;-) Maybe I'll come by and see you!

Back