• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

98 Contour SVT weird brake issue

SilvFroCSVT

CEG'er
So yesterday some idiot in a white work van decided to cut me off before a stop light which forced me to slam on my brakes. After I released the brakes, the car would barely move. The front driver caliper somehow was still fully clamped to the rotor and I had to pull over to see what was going on. I ended up getting it towed to my garage so I can take a better look at it and found there is no fluid flowing to that caliper. I removed the caliper and the rubber brake line and pumped the brakes, but absolutely nothing is coming out of the hard line in the wheel well as if it is clogged at the abs module or something. All other brakes seem to be working just fine except for this one. I have no abs light on the dash after I start the car up either. I am not that great with abs braking systems and really have no idea what could cause this. Never had this happen on any car and I'm seriously scratching my head on this one... :shrug: Thanks for any help in advance!

Abs systems require a bleed procedure that cycles the module, a standard bleed won't get all the air out. This being said, it also is possible that the module itself got fluid trapped at the caliper. However, it sounds as the module itself is not cycling and when you hit the brakes hard, it somehow tried to cycle, but didn't. Possible power issue?

IIRC some of the early style ABS controllers get like yours when they age. Older SVTs had a different controller (maybe part of the E0 / E1 changes?) All should be well after switching the controller. Our style of controller doesn't have complicated bleeding procedure as far as I know. I have had a 95 and a 2k contour with ABS. They always bled quickly and had now problems after finishing repairs.

IIRC some of the early style ABS controllers get like yours when they age. Older SVTs had a different controller (maybe part of the E0 / E1 changes?) All should be well after switching the controller. Our style of controller doesn't have complicated bleeding procedure as far as I know. I have had a 95 and a 2k contour with ABS. They always bled quickly and had now problems after finishing repairs.

That's possible too. Those systems I have worked on required a cycling of the ABS pump to get them to bleed correctly. I have generally done that with most cars with ABS.

After thinking about this its not a common issue, but I believe its the ABS unit itself based on post posts. Not sure how to test it to make sure.

Thanks for the replies guys I really appreciate it! I have heard some issues with the earlier Bendix ABS units crapping out as opposed to the later Bosch counterparts. So far I removed the old pump and found one at a junkyard for a reasonable price including shipping because no yards near me had any. What a pain in the ass it is to take the controller off though! Had to remove the master cyl, brake booster, a/c line, and a few misc brackets to get access to it lol. I'll report back after I get the new one off if it fixed the issue or not. I guess I can engage ABS on an empty road to bleed out the abs and then do a normal bleed at the calipers afterwards to get any excess air out?

Thanks for the replies guys I really appreciate it! I have heard some issues with the earlier Bendix ABS units crapping out as opposed to the later Bosch counterparts. So far I removed the old pump and found one at a junkyard for a reasonable price including shipping because no yards near me had any. What a pain in the ass it is to take the controller off though! Had to remove the master cyl, brake booster, a/c line, and a few misc brackets to get access to it lol. I'll report back after I get the new one off if it fixed the issue or not. I guess I can engage ABS on an empty road to bleed out the abs and then do a normal bleed at the calipers afterwards to get any excess air out?

I usually cycle the ABS while vacuum bleeding it. Don't know how you can cycle the ABS without the tool to activate the ABS pumps.

Well turns out it was the ABS pump. Swapped in a different pump I got from the junkyard, cycled abs and bled entire brake system. Works like normal now! Hope no one else has to deal with this bs cause it wasn't fun at all to change!

Back