• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

95 Zetec Oil Dipstick

Nails56

New CEG'er
This might be a dumb question, but do all zetec oil sticks have notches on them? Most cars just say add or full, looks like someone did it their self, and not the factory. So I added a 1/2 quart of 20/50 and now it is about a quarter inch above notch. The old oil had about 2k on it and it's still clean and clear. But now I have no more engine tap and idle vibration is a little less. So I just want to make sure that I did not put to much in, and cause any leaks, otherwise I can just remove some of the oil. That's a crazy dipstick :crazy:

OK thanks I just wanted to double check, my motor is running real good now for a 95 with 120k. This forum has been a great help, I hope next weekend I can get to the tranny and motor mounts.

i'm too paranoid to fill it with 5qts. although it'll probably not hurt it, i always make sure its right at the top notch.

Going a little above the full will not hurt. As long as it is not several inches above then you are fine. On some vehicles I have owned I would fill it up about 1/2 inch above funn cause I knew the oil was gonna leak out anyways and I would have to replenish.

So if the noise went away and seems to run a bit smoother, I say don't worry about a thing.
If you are really worried, next time you change the oil, put in 5 fresh quarts, new filter, and run the egine for a minute or two, turn it off, wait about 5 minutes, and take note of where the oil reads on the stick. Consider that point "full".

But for now you should be fine

i also do it so i only have to buy 4 quarts every other oil change. I keep the half qt in the car just in case, but that thing doesnt burn or leak a drop between oil changes.

Back