• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

95 Contour, Fuel Filter replacement, Any "tricks" to know?

gary_jabo

CEG'er
Hi All;
I've got a 1995 Contour GL Zetec w/automatic all stock.
I think I need to replace the fuel filter so I bought a new one. It came with two new plastic clips. How do I get the old filter off. I have the hose-spring tool but I've never done the fuel filter. Are there any tricks to know in replacing the filter.

(1) Do I have to relieve the fuel pressure before I attempt to take the old filter off.
(2) Do I have to remove the old plastic clips, and if so, do they get destroyed in the process? Thus the need for new clips in the package.
(3) Any lubrication recommended on the new O-rings.

Pictures or links to procedures would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Gary - Atlanta [Falcons, Braves, Hawks, Thrashers]

use a small flat screwdriver remove plastic clips pull off hose reinstall in reverse order minus the screwdriver part

Hi All;
I've got a 1995 Contour GL Zetec w/automatic all stock.
I think I need to replace the fuel filter so I bought a new one. It came with two new plastic clips. How do I get the old filter off. I have the hose-spring tool but I've never done the fuel filter. Are there any tricks to know in replacing the filter.

(1) Do I have to relieve the fuel pressure before I attempt to take the old filter off.
(2) Do I have to remove the old plastic clips, and if so, do they get destroyed in the process? Thus the need for new clips in the package.
(3) Any lubrication recommended on the new O-rings.

Pictures or links to procedures would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.
Gary - Atlanta [Falcons, Braves, Hawks, Thrashers]

Filter is in front of and slightly inboard of the right rear wheel.

I don't bother to de-pressurize the fuel system. If you wish to, you can de-pressurize by finding the fuel rail schreider valve under the hood, remove the cap (looks like a fite valve stem cap on a chrome stem), and use a small screw driver to depress the valve to relieve pressure. You can also wait several hours after shutting off the car before changing the filter (leave the key off during this time). It does help to remove and then reinstall the gas cap in case the tank iskk pressurized.

When you find the old filter, pay attention to the arrow on the filter that shows the direction of flow. The filter is held in place with a very large screw type hose clamp that you will need to loosen.

Pry off the white plastic clips (or pull them out a notch so they no longer hold the line in place). Pull the lines off and remove the filter. You will probably loose some fuel from the filter or the lines. Keep your face from underneath while removing.

Install the new clips on the lines. Push them until they seat. Pay attention to the direction of flow arrow. Push the lines onto the filter and confirm that they locked into place. You should feel it, and maybe hear it. Try pulling on the line to confirm the line is locked in place.

Reinstall the retainer hose clamp and you are done.

Back