• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

70mm TB on "SE" UIM ... need some advice

fastcougar

CEG'er
So, here is what I have done thus far to rectify the issue ... what is your take on this:

Now for the interesting part ... 70mm TB (70mm before throttle plate, flares to 72mm where it mates to the flange). So, quite a bit of porting must be done. The red outline is the 65mm TB gasket outline. Here I'm removing the "nubs" aft of the EGR path outlets.

IMG_5214.jpg

"nubs" removed, now widening the bore.

IMG_5215.jpg

boring complete.

IMG_5216.jpg

Here is where it gets interesting ... It still needs about 5-6mm more removed, but this will interfere with the EGR path and I don't want to pressurize the EGR passage, so it's time to get creative!

IMG_5217.jpg

Here you can see the EGR passage exposed on the outside of the TB ... what to do ...

IMG_5218.jpg

The "spacer" gasket that Warmonger supplied with the TB shows that it will cover the passage just fine ... I plan on using a gasket, then this plate.

IMG_5219.jpg

Even then, the TB has a built in passage that needs to be blocked off ... this picture illustrates the massive leak that would exist if it's not blocked off.

IMG_5220.jpg

Some "QuickSteel" will solve that.

IMG_5221.jpg

And it's what I'm using to block off the EGR passage (for the time being while I port out the bore to 72mm. This picture shows the guides I penned with the TB attached.

IMG_5222.jpg

The plan is to "flare" the bore so that incoming air doesn't hit a flat surface face on ... horrible for flow. I then plan on using a router bit on my dremel to channel out the EGR passage.

Wow Trevor, that looks like some pretty good ingenuity. So. . .when the engine going in the cougar?

Well, if you want to follow the project as a whole, you can do so in this thread on NECO, started to document the entire process of developing the turbo kit and building up the car.

http://newcougar.org/forums/showthread.php?t=100679

As for this TB work, my main concern is the possibility of the QuickSteel fatiuging to the point of failure ... that in turn would probably crank off a nice big chunk which could be swallowed by the engine. After boring tonight, I will take my blue tipped wrench to it and then give it a few good blows with a hammer to test it's integrity. QuickSteel is good for 500 degrees, and I figure by the time the EGR gasses hit that port, they are well below that ... anyone care to guess at their temp???

You don't need to worry about "pressurizing" the egr. It isn't operational at full throttle anyway... :confused:

Also, you don't need to worry about the ports and I'm still not sure why you filled them with quicksteel.
You just use the adapter and then widen&flare the mouth of the UIM to the adapter plate.

Funny, I thought I filled that TB port on the edge with JBweld anyway. :eek: I guess I didn't on that one even though I did on all the others I made. lol
Sorry.

Back