• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

6th Fall Dragon Run Info

A Cobalt is a fine car. I just hate the wong. Handles very very well. The body isn't my favorite but everything under the sheet metal is great. Kind of like an SRT-4 I guess. :D

I got the short wing and this will be my first silver car.

I test drove the MS3. A big issue for me was fuel economy. I wanted to assume they just messed up the testing for the 08 numbers, which resulted in the 18 city and 26 hwy that they reported to the EPA.

I was hoping that for 09 they would remedy this and the 08 numbers were simply a piss poor effort on the testing. Well for 09 the figures dropped to 18 and 25...

Another issue was that the interior wasn't anything all that more amazing than the Cobalt.

Plus there are already SS/TC's in the 12s with minimal mods. :eek:

I plan on keeping it bone stock and spending my play money on other things. My priorities have shifted... :cool:

I got the short wing and this will be my first silver car.

I test drove the MS3. A big issue for me was fuel economy. I wanted to assume they just messed up the testing for the 08 numbers, which resulted in the 18 city and 26 hwy that they reported to the EPA.

I was hoping that for 09 they would remedy this and the 08 numbers were simply a piss poor effort on the testing. Well for 09 the figures dropped to 18 and 25...

Another issue was that the interior wasn't anything all that more amazing than the Cobalt.

Plus there are already SS/TC's in the 12s with minimal mods. :eek:

I plan on keeping it bone stock and spending my play money on other things. My priorities have shifted... :cool:
It told you about the gas mileage. 25 MPG mixed driving for mine. Hell this weekend I beat the car for the first 1/4-1/2 tank and still got 24 MPG. On average at 75 MPH with the A/C on the highway I got 30 MPG.:shrug:

I am not dissing the Colbalt interior because I have a MS3, but it seriously a step above Dodge's quality interiors.:help: The love the MS3 interior but then again I came from an 03 Evo with a 1990 Mitsu style dash.:crazy:

I asked you about the fuel economy, but that is just one person. I am not gonna conduct a sample to prove that it can do better. If it could, Mazda would've addressed this in the 09 testing.

It's American, better fuel economy, good power. SOLD. :cool:

I asked you about the fuel economy, but that is just one person. I am not gonna conduct a sample to prove that it can do better. If it could, Mazda would've addressed this in the 09 testing.

It's American, better fuel economy, good power. SOLD. :cool:
They did by a little disclaimer under the bold City MPG 18 and Highway MPG 26. Under the city: Expected range for most drivers 14 to 22 MPG and under the highway:""""" 21 to 31 MPG. I am looking right at my window sticker.:laugh:

The car being American.....:shrug:

I like the Cobalt even more now with the hairdryer but as far as the interior styling goes, well, I need to see the car again inperson because I don't recall it being all that great, but compared to previous GM cars, its gotta be atleast a step in the right direction.

As far as the American thing goes, well, I can only assume that your new job is union and if so, no problem Pete because that's the great thing about our country...your money, your choice, period! I like both cars...alot and I hope you make it out to the Dragon to test that suspesion tuned on "The Ring", its really supposed to be something and you'll love your car even more then you do right now!

BTW, did you get the LSD?

I like the Cobalt even more now with the hairdryer but as far as the interior styling goes, well, I need to see the car again inperson because I don't recall it being all that great, but compared to previous GM cars, its gotta be atleast a step in the right direction.

As far as the American thing goes, well, I can only assume that your new job is union and if so, no problem Pete because that's the great thing about our country...your money, your choice, period! I like both cars...alot and I hope you make it out to the Dragon to test that suspesion tuned on "The Ring", its really supposed to be something and you'll love your car even more then you do right now!

BTW, did you get the LSD?

I have NOTHING to do with the union. Nada, zip. I push papers all day at Campbell-Ewald, GM's premiere advertising agency.

Roger, of course I got the LSD. In fact, I got every available option aside from the high-rise spoiler.

What would the gas difference be over a year of ownership between the 2 cars? Can't be that much.

I figured out my gas....15000 miles (est) divided by 25 (MPG; my average) times $4.15 is $2490.:shrug: Even at $4.50 a gallon it is only $2700.

I figured out my gas....15000 miles (est) divided by 25 (MPG; my average) times $4.15 is $2490.:shrug: Even at $4.50 a gallon it is only $2700.

While that is possible, the EPA doesn't agree and I have the pleasure of with that fine organization and I trust their figures.

According to them I can save $800 annually driving the Cobalt SS over the MS3.

Combined cycle the Mazda3 only gets 20 mpg. Combined cycle defined by the EPA is 55% city and 45% highway.

The Cobalt SS has a combined cycle of 25mpg.

I even broke this stuff down in an excel spreadsheet, which is on my work computer. It was MS3 v. Si v. SS

They all have pros and cons.

Just need to know how to drive economically. Hell, my 300WHP Evo managed to get 21 or so MPG taking the same drive to work.

We can sit here and discuss back and forth why each car is better....I am just going on what I have seen with my MS3. You're basing what you know on what you read.

In the end you have a SS....so good luck with that.:shrug::laugh:

The gas wouldn't have made a difference to me and I'm pretty frugal. No way at the end of the year the difference would be much of anything. Oh well not my car.

Just need to know how to drive economically. Hell, my 300WHP Evo managed to get 21 or so MPG taking the same drive to work.

We can sit here and discuss back and forth why each car is better....I am just going on what I have seen with my MS3. You're basing what you know on what you read.

In the end you have a SS....so good luck with that.:shrug::laugh:

The EPA is a VERY trusted source. More trustworthy than what joe shmoe says...

All of the auto manufacturers use their data and testing methods...so basing what I know on what I read seems pretty damn legitimate to me.

The EPA is a VERY trusted source. More trustworthy than what joe shmoe says...

All of the auto manufacturers use their data and testing methods...so basing what I know on what I read seems pretty damn legitimate to me.
Whatever makes you sleep better at night...:shrug:

But SERIOUSLY! If your are so worried about economy, why were you even looking at a performance car?:confused:

I like Pete but he really makes sense 65% of the time. I didn't even know the MS3 was in his search. The MS3 is more grown up car where the SS looks boy racer no matter what is done to it. As long as your happy with it. I wouldn't have even thought twice about the MS3.

I like Pete but he really makes sense 65% of the time. I didn't even know the MS3 was in his search. The MS3 is more grown up car where the SS looks boy racer no matter what is done to it. As long as your happy with it. I wouldn't have even thought twice about the MS3.

Anything in the FWD fuel efficient semi-performance range was in my search.

I don't see how the fuel efficiency issue doesn't make sense in a purchase decision. The SS performs as well as the MS3 and returns 4 mpg more in the city and 5 mpg more on the highway.

Well, it will be much faster and better handling than my car for sure. I can't wait to check it out.

Back