• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L vs. 3LHybrid

Hey, all you guys talking shyt about the 3L hybrid....you ever build one? Ever own one or drive a well-built one?

:mad: Well if not then you should consider the source of the information and stop throwing around uniformed opinions.

The 2.5L is a good motor and the two oil drainbacks is a very small contributing possibility to the bearing issue. NEVER been proven and just speculation. It also hurts those statements because there are so many that have never had an issue with two drainbacks, and almost all the 3L hybrids run good and don't fail.
There are sucky hybrids built with not port-work or anything and they still run pretty good. A hybrid built with the high compression in mind and the 3L valves for good breathing is a really strong engine though.

To the first guy:
THe high compression would not be worth pulling out a working 3.0.
As Blackcoug said, the SVT cams (and I add intakes) would be the only mods worth doing to it. Headers would help. Fix the traction.

Hey, all you guys talking shyt about the 3L hybrid....you ever build one? Ever own one or drive a well-built one?

:mad: Well if not then you should consider the source of the information and stop throwing around uniformed opinions.

:cool: :cool: :cool: Agreed!!!!

OR YOU COULD INSTALL nitrous kit . like a 50 shot wet kit, that will give you the extra hp you desire and will be a cheaper dollar to hp ratio in the end.

or you could sell the contour as is ! buy a 350z ,g35 coupe, evo,sti ,or S4 ,M3 and walk all over these three liter boys. in stock form to boot.

The 2.5L is a good motor and the two oil drainbacks is a very small contributing possibility to the bearing issue. NEVER been proven and just speculation. It also hurts those statements because there are so many that have never had an issue with two drainbacks, and almost all the 3L hybrids run good and don't fail.
There are sucky hybrids built with not port-work or anything and they still run pretty good. A hybrid built with the high compression in mind and the 3L valves for good breathing is a really strong engine though.

To the first guy:
As Blackcoug said, the SVT cams (and I add intakes) would be the only mods worth doing to it. Headers would help. Fix the traction.

Ok but to add to the discussion, would the full 3L, already installed, be more beneficial over a not installed 3L Hybrid?

So let's say, I had a chance to have both. Which would give me the best bang.

I have had both engines in my Cougar. I pulled the hybrid in preparation for FI down the road. I went with a ported 3L and picked up more power so it was a win win situation (lower compression to run boost and more power). My hybrid dyno was around 192whp and my ported dyno was round 220whp. The numbers were from two different dynos though so it's hard to compare numbers. To me it felt like I gained a lot so the dynos made sense.

I have had both engines in my Cougar. I pulled the hybrid in preparation for FI down the road. I went with a ported 3L and picked up more power so it was a win win situation (lower compression to run boost and more power). My hybrid dyno was around 192whp and my ported dyno was round 220whp. The numbers were from two different dynos though so it's hard to compare numbers. To me it felt like I gained a lot so the dynos made sense.

Interesting.

Was the ported motor a much newer block?
Did you have additional mods like headers?
Did you have SVT cams in the ported motor? I'd expect so.

I'd like to know what configuration your ported motor is because I am hoping to drop a 3L into the Mystique this summer. The plan is to port an '05 3L and add SVT cams with fresh 2.5 timing components.

3L Hybrid. 2.5L valves. No port work. bolt-ons and mail order tune. 206fwhp and 196fwtq. 39k very reliable miles!

Mark

Actually the block stayed the same in both motors I only swapped heads. The hybrid 2.5L heads were the top of the line full race port with 3L valves from Kinger's site (www.pnpheads.com) so they were not just stock SVT heads. :cool: Brad Noon build the hybrid for me a while back.

I had pretty much all the same mods on the Hybrid as I do on the new ported motor (svt cams, headers, cold air intake, SVT intakes, etc. (http://www.cardomain.com/id/blackcoog)

Last edited:
Actually the block stayed the same in both motors I only swapped heads. The hybrid 2.5L heads were the top of the line full race port with 3L valves from Kinger's site (www.pnpheads.com) so they were not just stock SVT heads. :cool: Brad Noon build the hybrid for me a while back.

I had pretty much all the same mods on the Hybrid as I do on the new ported motor (svt cams, headers, cold air intake, SVT intakes, etc. (http://www.cardomain.com/id/blackcoog)

Well, that's all the infor I needed! Thanks a million, man!

<==== (* runs to check pricing at 3lduratec.com *)

To the first guy:

Ahhh refreshing to see that people still support the Hybrid. My Hybrid is still running....i have over 2 years and 50,000 miles on it now. It's sold to NorCalCoug but tis still running strong. I need's to be tuned, but other than that its going strong with some really hard miles on it.

EDIT: wait....i think its actually 3 years......

Ok putting svt cams in it is just going to lower the HP and TQ cause those cams are designed for a split port intake not oval port! idk why everyone thinks "oh its svt cams you will get more rpm's out it" yeah you move ur power up the rpms but get less wtf is the point of that? I got a tuned striaght 3L made 203 FWP and 210 FWTQ. No port and polish nothing. If I was you I wouldn't try to detune ur 3L how bout you take ur tranny to terry and put a ATB in it, or like the other guys said put better tires on it. I dont have trouble launching mine.

Ok putting svt cams in it is just going to lower the HP and TQ cause those cams are designed for a split port intake not oval port! idk why everyone thinks "oh its svt cams you will get more rpm's out it" yeah you move ur power up the rpms but get less wtf is the point of that? I got a tuned striaght 3L made 203 FWP and 210 FWTQ. No port and polish nothing. If I was you I wouldn't try to detune ur 3L how bout you take ur tranny to terry and put a ATB in it, or like the other guys said put better tires on it. I dont have trouble launching mine.

Where TH did you read that the SVT cams don't help??? Both warmonger & blackcoug endorsed the SVT cams as a worthy upgrade, and they are among the most respected innovators for this platform. If you don't want to use SVT cams, don't. Just don't whine without some backup.

3L Hybrid. 2.5L valves. No port work. bolt-ons and mail order tune. 206fwhp and 196fwtq. 39k very reliable miles!

Mark

Ditto.

Except for the HP and TQ numbers, I'm not sure what my motor puts down now that I have headers and exhaust work completed, but I've got almost 50k under the belt (damn!)

Back