• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L throttle body/TPS

double_u_4

Veteran CEG'er
so i had my CEL checked & it was saying P0122- my TPS is open or shorted, well i just replaced it about 2 or 3 weeks ago. i have the 2.5 throttle body & the black piece the cable connects to with the shield on it(dont know what it is called) & i noticed that when the cable is pulling it is opening the shield in the opposite way the TPS gear turns so it wasnt working properly. so i switched out the cable bracket that goes threw the TB with 1 for a 3L. i noticed this 1 opens the shield the other way, the way the TPS spins. so put thhis 1 on & cleared the light & it seems to be fine now, no light on anymore. but it seems like this 1 is smaller than the 2.5's. the round black piece the cable goes around & latches into. so now i have slack in the cable. but it says the TPS for the 3.0 & the 2.5 are the same. so y would 1 turn 1 way & the other turn the opposite way. the 3L pulls the cable from the bottom & the 2.5 pulls it from the top. i took the 2.5 apart to see if i can get it to pull like the 3L but no way to do it.

this 1 is the 1 from the 3L
IMAG0196.jpg

This was the 2.5
IMAG0197.jpg

You need a custom throttle body bracket. You chop up the SVT bracket and the 3L bracket and weld them together. Your SVT bracket will bend and leave too much slack in the cable. You need to use the 3L throttle body though because of the IAC valve passage way in it (unless you do some custom IAC setup with a throttle body spacer plate and a hole for the IAC passage). You can't use your 2.5L throttle body. Don't swap parts around. You also need to extend your TPS sensor wiring or it will be a stretch to reach the 3L TPS sensor. I'm not sure if people said this before but a 3L isn't a direct swap. ;)

TPS wiring reaches without problems, you just need to pull it out from the injector harness. for the TB, use either the 3L TB, SVT bracket (turned upside down and mounted to the TB and EGR bolts), SVT throttle cable, OR the 3L TB, TB bracket, TB cable.

ok, my TPS reaches fine, well i think i do have the 3L TB, i just saw a pic of a 2.5 & it is different than mine. but in my previous pic do i have the cable attachments labeled rite?(1st 3L & 2nd the 2.5) cuz the second pic was the 1 that was orginally on it. i ended up putting the 1st 1 on because the 2nd 1 opened the wrong way, but now the 1st has to much slack. as for now i just put some spacers on the cable by the foot pedal to fill the slack. it makes the pedal feel different & either have to get used to it or figure something else out. i was messing around with the other cable wheel & saw i can get it to open the other way i just have to have it upside down & would have to grind out a path for the cable to run the other way on it cuz otherwise the cable doesnt have enough slack & hold the shield open.

-Blackcoog where bouts do i cut the brackets & weld them, you wouldnt happen to have a diagram or picture of that would you. i have a person i can have cut & weld it for me if i know where to have it cut @

-Striker would you happen to have a pic of how the bracket goes upside down (exactly which holes)

this is what the TB i have in there looks like
IMAG0198.jpg

101_0782.jpg

this will still leave some slack in the cable unless you find a way to make the route around the plastic cam longer. I like to drill a small hole and tap in a nail which i then cut off flush (you can barely see the holes in that picture. this forces the cable out farther taking up the slack, it also means a slower opening of the throttle which is easier to control.

this picture has the 2 nails circled. i dont remember what size they are but i have posted it before. if you do that you want to make sure nails aren't too far out so the cable doesnt have any hard angles.
101_0860.jpg

ok thanxx. so the nails are ther to make the cable reach down the pulley farther instead of riding in the groove, & ur bracket is upside down? & the last pic i posted that is the correct TB rite. not the 2.5 1?

the easiest way to tell the 2.5L from the 3L TBs is the 3L TB has a hole in the bore that leads to the bottom face (that mounts to the intake manifold). this hole is for the IAC valve that is mounted on the top of the 3L UIM.

ok so now i am noticing my rpms are dropping alot lower than they used to. b4 with the other cable bracket i was idling @ 1000. even after i changed it yesterday & drove it a few times it was still @ that spot. well to day after driving it a few times i noticed they started to drop a little lower & lower after a few trips here & there. now it is idling & about 500 when i come to a light. i noticed i dont have the throttle hang that i used to have b4 i changed this. i do have a spacer in the pedal @ the moment to clear up the cable slack. but y all of a sudden would my throttle drop so low now. the pedal is really stiff & theres no slack in it. i didnt change the TB just the cable wheel. i noticed that there wasnt a throttle stop screw on there. the other TB that i am not using has 1. do i mayb need to put 1 in.

I did the throttle bracket setup up as striker but instead of putting nails through the plastic I just pulled it tight on the accelerator pedal and used trimmed down bolt with nut as a spacer. But zip ties would work just as well.

well ive been messing with this on & off switching back & forth trying to get something to work a little better. the zip tie on the cable by the pedal kept sticking in the rubber boot. so i ended up using the 2.5 bracket & turned it upside down like striker said. seems to be working fine. @ least i dont have the zipties & wire connector on there to hold it. the only thing i am wondering is if i have the right spring on it. i have 2 different springs 1 is more of a compressed looking with plastic bushings on the ends & the other is a more open looking 1 with out anything on the ends. which 1 am i supposed to have on there. i will try to get a pic of them in a lil bit since my explainations arent that great. i just have to take the spring off the xtra TB i have.

Back