• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L Swap questions

i got a duratec block, i had water jets sticking out where it should be covered, anyways, i didnt do as much research as i should of in blocks years, the majority of people said 3.0 taurus. i went and got the 3.0 taurus. pretty much my fault haha

i got a duratec block, i had water jets sticking out where it should be covered, anyways, i didnt do as much research as i should of in blocks years, the majority of people said 3.0 taurus. i went and got the 3.0 taurus. pretty much my fault haha

Water jets? LOL! You're most likely seeing the oil return passages that don't line up with the 2.5 heads. Two of them, one per bank. Back in the "cheaper is better" days we filled them with epoxy and called them done. You can weld them full of aluminum and have the block decked to clean it up for a few hundred bucks though too. There will also be one oil feed hole possible that may need to be blocked off, again depending on which year block and heads you've got. Good ol hybrid.

For the work needed to make that block work it would've been cheaper to just buy another engine. Even if you weren't able to return the 99 engine you bought. Not to mention if you consider the time its taken to make it work.

I bought an 04' Taurus 3L for $400 with 29k miles on it. Just saying. Time is money. I look at life that way; part of working flat rate pay most of my life I guess. lol

For the work needed to make that block work it would've been cheaper to just buy another engine. Even if you weren't able to return the 99 engine you bought. Not to mention if you consider the time its taken to make it work.

Disagree. The large bulk of the first 3L swaps were done this way with great success. Mine included.

Disagree. The large bulk of the first 3L swaps were done this way with great success. Mine included.

Did you include the time put into making it work? Remember time is money too. That is a lot of screwing around.

I agree with CSVT#49 its alot of time, so just going to scrap the block along with other aluminum stuff i have in the garage lol, anyone the price of aluminum?? haha use that money to get a resurfaced crank and bearing and call it a day haha thanks everyone for the input though! Note to self and anyone else out there, get an 02+ 3.0 haha hey you live and you learn guys Happy thanksgiving everyone and go lions!!

Back