• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L Swap Dyno Day in Minnesota

All of these Cars/motors were Swapped by Chris (BlackCoog)

Kyle: Stock 3L/stock Exhaust
DYnoRun.jpg

Me: Stock 3L/stock Exhaust
DynoGraph.jpg

Ryan: Stock 3L/Straight Pipe Through 1 cat.
DynoGraph-1.jpg

Chris/Dan's Cougar. Stock 3L Stock Cougar Exhaust
DynoGraph-2.jpg

You guys all had impressive #'s but I was wondering about the guy that put down 192 torque (Ryan: Stock 3L/Straight Pipe Through 1 cat).
Was this an Escape or Taurus 3l. & what is the exhaust again. The reason I ask is b/c I'm seriously considering doing a full 3L & these look like the #'s I'd hope to put down.
A little explanation would help alot as well as maybe some pics of you guys cars , just for reference later. :)

You guys all had impressive #'s but I was wondering about the guy that put down 192 torque (Ryan: Stock 3L/Straight Pipe Through 1 cat).
Was this an Escape or Taurus 3l. & what is the exhaust again. The reason I ask is b/c I'm seriously considering doing a full 3L & these look like the #'s I'd hope to put down.
A little explanation would help alot as well as maybe some pics of you guys cars , just for reference later. :)

All were Taurus motors. 01-03

I am working on as straight pipe bolt on for the section he removed, PLUS removing the resonator. I Will have dyno #'s up after that.

So are you running headers or manifolds & you are saying that it is stock exhaust except for a removed resinator?

Mine:
Stock SVT manifolds with Stock Pre cats. Stock Y pipe WITH the cat.
Stock 2nd Cat, Stock Resonater, Stock Mufflers.

Ryans
Stock SVT manifolds with Stock Pre cats. Stock Y pipe WITH the cat.
Straight Pipe in place of 2nd Cat Stock Resonater Stock Mufflers

All of these cars could have put down some really good numbers with headers and an good exhaust (expecially the Cougar). The only difference on Ryan's car was a missing main cat and it put down more than 10hp than the others. The Cougar was still running the tiny factory single exhaust so the lower numbers are expected there.

This also shows how much 3L's benifit from tunes. While the max hp or tq don't change significantly check out the initial tq gains in all of the cases. The Cougar gained nearily 70 wtq down low from a tune!

Holy crap!!!
I dyno'd more HP on Pure tunings Mustang dyno than that cougar did with a 3L
DSC01079.jpg

Besides that it's a different type of dyno so you can't even compare the numbers. To be fair all the guys there said this particular dyno seems to put out lower numbers than others around town. Absolute max numbers wasn't important here anyway it was the need for a tune in every car. Another thing to notice is how much more tq the 3L's have over 2.5L's.

Maybe I'll have my stock SVT dynoed there to show what the real difference would be between a stock SVT and a Full 3L SVT at this particular dyno, expecially if I plan on using this dyno for the supercharger tuning.

For reference a stock Cougar puts out about 135-140whp from dynos over on NECO.

Last edited:
Here is another graph that was posted up in the 3L section recently. This guy has a ported 3L with the works: SVT cams, St200 valve springs, full exhaust, intake, headers, etc. I'd expect the full 3L's above to put down numbers above this with those mods. You can't really compare dyno to dyno but you can get a rough estimate.

dynochart01.jpg

Last edited:
Last edited:
Here is another graph that was posted up in the 3L section recently. This guy has a ported 3L with the works: SVT cams, St200 valve springs, full exhaust, intake, headers, etc. I'd expect the full 3L's above to put down numbers above this with those mods. You can't really compare dyno to dyno but you can get a rough estimate.

dynochart01.jpg

Thats mine but I'm really somewhat dissapointed in the result. Since I didn't recieve any responses I figured I'd lay a couple HP blame on conservative tuning. The car is really strong & runs great so I'm happy (somewhat) w/ the end result. I'll add my UDP's & I'm considering removing the secondaries.
The full 3L is for my other SVT if I ever get it back from the body shop! :)

That thread w/ our dyno run vids & my chart is a few below this one BTW.

The air/fuel looks good so I wouldn't consider it bad tuning in that respect. It may have been able to take more timing to give you some more power though. Then again it may have been a great tune and the dyno may read lower then those that have 210+whp. As long as the car feels strong you should be happy.

We couldn't tune my 3.0 in my RETURNLESS 2000. In 2000 they turned off the J-Port on the PCM, so that screwed me. I got a taurus computer and got the car to communicate with the Diablo chip, but PATS and fuel pump issues stopped it there as well. I dont think you can tun a 2000 returnless car, anybody ever try and tune one of these?

Back