• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L svt vs...

good info everyone. thanks. as far as the reliability thing on the subarus, ive always thought they were supposed to be good cars. thing about the contour is the body in good shape for a car with 100k, but theres other stuff that has to be changed with a 3l swap, plus, thats cash out of hand, where as more expensive cars are payed out in the loan, so an extra 100 bucks a month on a 48 month is like 5000 grand, so if you dont have 5000 right now, you can spend 100 a month for 4 years, which is easier for most (except for interest). but anyways, im wondering if i should just wait a year for the sti's to get cheaper... not sure. but regular wrx's before 04 are ugly, inside and out. rsx's beat it for sure, except drivetrain. dunno.

Last edited:
chris, if your doing full exhaust, i highly suggest porting the heads and intake's.

save 3k to put into mods on the car, and youll be in the 13's for sure.

The biggest thing besides headers on the 3l, is a tune.
Between full exhaust and tune, you should be touching high 13's. (Mid with a really good driver).

Keep in mind you already own the Car...

As for who said the SVTC weas heavy...

The curbweight is only 3100 LBS.
A fox body is 3300-3500LBS
a new style mustang is approaching 4000 LBS.

Tell me its heavy.....

I said it was heavy dude!
:nonono:

Compared to the Acuras I was discussing, it IS heavy.
Every sport compact in the same comptetive class comes in below 3000 pounds. There are only a few cars that come in heavier. We're talking 2600-2700 lb range for sport compacts usually. What would 500lbs less weight net you in the quarter mile with the same power?

Most of the sport compacts WITH all-wheel-drive added weigh in about the same weight as the SVT. My volvo s40 AWD weights about 3225 lbs.

SVT weight was originally listed around 3100lbs but many seem to weigh in a porkish 3200lbs stock.

Your SVT is about as stock as mine is.. which is not quite in the context of that discussion.
:p :D
LOL

every 100 lbs generally equates to 1 tenth of a second. keep that in mind. we are at a disadvantage against sport compacts in that manner.

keep in mind though, if your looking at any 4 door car, its gonna be heavier than a 2 door crapbox. lol.

hey everyone i think i might be liking the legacy gt, looks inside and out are better, and its got the sti engine, just detuned to 250/250 hp/tq. i might bite in 10 months....

hey everyone i think i might be liking the legacy gt, looks inside and out are better, and its got the sti engine, just detuned to 250/250 hp/tq. i might bite in 10 months....

I found it amusing that you asked opinions among CSVT, WRX and RSX, and came up later saying I want something else.

As a owner of both 3L CSVT and Saab 9-2X (WRX clone), I can tell this:
A stock CSVT beats WRX when slow. At higher speed, when the boost is up, WRX is way faster.

I had problem with my 92X stock when slow. I need to constantly shift to make a turn. Sometimes I need to drop even 1st gear while with CSVT I can make the same turn at 4th gear. That's because any pre 2006 WRX has 2.0L engine. Starting from 2006 it uses the same Legacy GT 2.5 EJ25 engine. It's a different beast then.

When you add 3L to a CSVT (not cheap if you are not going to do it yourself -- I was fortunate to grab FastCougar's 3L set up when he rolled his car with only 110 miles on the newly built engine. The asking price including the HMS tranny was $4500.) it feels much more stronger. Without other mods (I/H/E) you get at best barely 200HP to the front wheels if very lucky. That's roughly about 235 HP at the crank compared to the stock claimed 200HP. WRX starts at a claimed 227HP but can be cheaply modded. I only spent less than $1000 to cleanly mod the 92X to stage2 (Cobb Accessport -- $520, STi uppipe, gutted stock downpipe, STi exhaust). Cobb claims the stage2 HP is like 280. I don't really know if that's true, but it starts really hard and strong, and I don't need to shift that often. The acceleration is amazing.

The WRX is so much easier to mod because the engine is relatively much smaller than the engine bay itself. Anyone who works with CSVT can tell you how cramped our engine bay is. The major mod for CSVT is an engine swap, the major mods for WRX can be turbo upgrade, exhausts, intakes, headers, and ECU tweaking. WRX aftermarket support is thousands times larger than the CSVT's. They are also very good in handling.

I believe the CSVT has higher speed than the WRX, and can be even higher if you use the Zetec final drive in the tranny. But the problem is how often you are driving at your speed limit.

Don't get me wrong. I may sound like the WRX is my preference but on the contray the CSVT is. I have only 5000 miles on the 92X and had been thinking about selling it for something else. But I never want to get rid of my CSVT. Recently I even am considering to have a new paint overall.

The total cost so far on the two cars. Both were purchased new.
CSVT -- $22,800 + $4,500 (3L) + $1,400 (full new suspension) + $600 (Warmonger Brake kit and other components) + ??? (paint)

92X -- $24,500 + $1,000 (stage 2).

Both are performing admirably. It's all up to one's like and how much the car will set back in the wallet department.

Just my $0.02.

A year ago I was in a similar situation. Ive never been a fan of Subies, but I did test drive a RSX-S with out the sales agent .The thing I liked most about the Acura was the fact that just putting around you still feel like your beating the crap out of it. And when you are beating the crap out of it, its real hard not too like. Six speed was nice, but they are known to have synro problems,IIRC. I was all set to sign the paper work until I checked my with my insurance company, way too much money for me. Your situation maybe different. For me the svt was just a better fit.

Last edited:
thanks guys, yea i imagine the rsx insurance is hefty, ive heard from some that 350z's are cheaper for them.. crazy. to svt#### i hear yea, i like the tours a lot. but i just need a newer car period. like i mentioned, the tour is just too old, and with old cars come unpleasantries that wont go away with the 3l, and i really wanted the awd+turbo, since ive always owned n/a fwd, the change is welcomed, but the wrx's are just ugly. i couldnt live with the new car payment while feeling the csvt was a nicer looking car. so when i found the legacy, it has an interior similar to my 04 acura tl 6 speed, which is missed. so im excited, i just have to wait till they get cheaper next year. i think i might sell the 3l that the seller still has.

you are at the point that I am at right now. and I narrowed it down to the rsx,wrx.

well my dilemma is a need for something that is reliable,holds value, has aftermarket support,good winter car that can handle ohio winters, and has a realnice interior like the contour svt. all of those are important maybe I should lookinto the tsx.

you are at the point that I am at right now. and I narrowed it down to the rsx,wrx.

well my dilemma is a need for something that is reliable,holds value, has aftermarket support,good winter car that can handle ohio winters, and has a realnice interior like the contour svt. all of those are important maybe I should lookinto the tsx.

sounds like a evo/sti would be perfect.

reliable -- both, yes

holds value -- not sure, probably not so good but not so bad

has after market suppoer -- both, uhh yeah

good winter car -- both, uhh yeah

has a real nice interior -- both, um much better quality and comfort

tsx is nice, but its no wrx in the fun department. idk what your budget is but i was just stairing at a '06 sti on the lot for 30K. if i was not keeping my car for another 10 years it would have to be evo/sti. idk if you have driven the tsx, wrx, etc, if you havent go for a drive and find what suits best.

i really wanted the awd+turbo, since ive always owned n/a fwd, the change is welcomed, but the wrx's are just ugly.

I agree I don't like the WRX look, so I have this:
101_0883.jpg

There are more pictures available here: (http://members.cox.net/saab92x/index.htm)

DSC00654_JPG.jpg

DSC00654_JPG.htm

Imho

Imho

I have a 99 cougar mtx that I did a 3.0 swap on. only engine mods I have are exhaust and high flow cat, and a CC cold air intake stage 2 clutch and SVT flywheele. and with just that I am faster then a WRX. I have some SVT parts that I cant wait to put on. But by my math with the 3.0 plus the SVT parts, intake, exhaust, and chip I SHOULD be in the 260 maybe the 270 hp range. (though ill probably also do a LSD and drive shaft shop axels.)

but I coudlnt be happier with my 3.0 swap car just has just nice flat pull to it. no spike of a turbo like the wrx and I dont have to spin it up to 9,000 rpm to get any power like the RSX. the car pulls solidly from 3000 RPM

I have also done alot of suspension work to it. Koni struts, HR springs, bushings, Bat rear sway bar, and I had the rear subframe boxed and reinforced becuse that BAT rear sway bar is so solid it will (and did) rip the flimsy mouths right off the bottom of the car. I use my car for alot of auto cross and ill tell you its a champ stock and amazing with the mods I did. I eat WRXs and RSXs alive at auto cross.

with the budget your talking about I would have to say to keep the SVT and do the engine upgrades then sink the extra money into the suspension. and you will have a car that is faster then the WRX and out handles the RSX and you will save money and pay less insruance. and you might even have the money to do a supercharger on it.

(PS if you do the engine swap I would strongly sugest that you do at least a stage 2 clutch and replace the flywheele and throw out bearing while your in there, also might not hurt to slap in a LSD and reinforced axels while you have them at it, save you alot of money and grief in the long run)

By WHAT math is that??? :help:

I'd think, with no supporting information and only what you have said, that you'd be in the 205-220 range. Similar setups are netting about this much. What would you have done that is so radically different as to extract 45-50 horses more than someone else doing the same procedure?

Even the high end of 210 with an 18% calculation is STILL only 247.8, 13hp shy from 260, and 23hp shy of 270...

I have no doubt that his calculations were BHP, but they were still high. I guess stating WHP when comparing his stated levels was a little confusing, and I should have kept it apples to apples, huh?

in all honestymy budget is set 20k and no higher. which is why I wanted the wrx. but I heard the wrx tranny givesout at 300hp. is this true? I eliminated the rsx from my list and that is b2cause it would not be worth anything modded in crap load of snow.

some people do not like the look of the 01-05 wrx but I do. I only think about putting dual hid set-ups. headlights and fogs and that is due to me living in the woods.

another question mod for hp.you spend more on the contoursvt then you would on the wrx right? I think thats what I got from the post with the owner of the aero.

Back