• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L Cougar tapping

Update:

I dropped a new ported 3L engine into that Cougar. Things went fairly well. I drove it around for a bit to make sure it was ok before the owner came to get it. It seemed perfect. However, this cougar is higher mileage and pretty worn.

The owner came and picked it up a few days ago. On the way home she was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic and apparently it started to overheat. She gave me a call so I made her check the water pump and radiator fans. They all seemed to be working. I figured it was a bubble in the system. I told her to drive a little further and see if it starts getting hot again. It was fine after that so she was able to get home.

Yesterday she calls and says that she is getting misfire on cylinder #2 and a code for a bad O2 on bank 1. I'm guessing the fuel dumping through bank 1 on the old engine fried the O2 so it's probably bad now. The odd thing was that the misfire on #2 was the same code that was on the last engine. There is a new coil pack in there. The wires seemed ok when I ohmed them out. The fuel pump noise seems a bit off when you turn the key which I mentioned to her to keep an eye on. It seems like she has issues whenever she is low on gas.

I'm really starting to hate this cougar. lol

Last edited:
Now we just need to tell her Blackcoog is bad mouthing her car. :laugh: *cough...blackmail...cough.....free work....cough*

Back