• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3l cam choice

Really? Your cars pull all the way to redline without dropping off at all? I find this difficult to believe. Dyno graphs?

The full 3Ls i have done pulled hard all the way to redline as well. if you search i know there are some dyno graphs floating around.

Perhaps our understanding of pulling hard are different. Im used to a 305 hp v6 that pulls harder up top then it does down low due to lower torque.
I have seen the dynos on these cars and the numbers arent exactly impressive when it comes to horsepower. Especially peak horsepower in the top end. Dont get me wrong, they are great cars and have plenty of power, but at the top end it doesnt pull nearly as hard as it does during peak torque.

The full 3Ls i have done pulled hard all the way to redline as well. if you search i know there are some dyno graphs floating around.

Here is a dyno graph. Turbo 3.0 362 HP at the wheels. Notice how quickly it falls off after 6,000 rpm. SVT Cams even but smaller throttle body.
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n611/crewchiefpro/dynosheet2.jpg

Here is another one where it only made 353 at the wheels.
http://i1142.photobucket.com/albums/n611/crewchiefpro/dyno1.jpg

Wow, in with a turbo it falls flat on its face....
Looking at that dyno, not necessarily the numbers but the HP and TQ curve, is exactly what I feel when I drive. I wish the HP would continue to keep the same upward scale all the way to redline :(

Wow, in with a turbo it falls flat on its face....
Looking at that dyno, not necessarily the numbers but the HP and TQ curve, is exactly what I feel when I drive. I wish the HP would continue to keep the same upward scale all the way to redline :(

Just needs more airflow. The heads and manifold seem restrictive to me, and the graph shows it is running out of steam. A more aggressive cam would help top end but nobody makes them.

A perfect street engine as it sits. All I know is at 3000 rpm at full throttle you better make damn sure you have a hold of the steering wheel and know where you want to go. 370 lb/ft of torque in a front wheel drive small car gets crazy. When I shift at 6200 rpm it is just about perfect, anymore is a waste of time.

My 1100 HP drag race engine makes the most power at 7400 rpm but up to 8000 rpm it doesn't loose very much. Airflow is king and I don't think any Stock street engine is really designed to run properly at red line. Most new cars make their power by 6000 rpm so we are not alone. The Acura 3.5 VTEC V6 makes 280 HP at only 6200 rpm as an example.

Really? Your cars pull all the way to redline without dropping off at all? I find this difficult to believe. Dyno graphs?

Yes really....and here is my friend OB1's ported 3L with svt cams dyno graph. I have one to but can't scan it because I don't have a scanner. If you want more info on his car pm him I'm sure he will tell you what he has done to it.

http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?62420-Dyno-and-lunch-meet-Hiram-Ga-November-6th/page6

I looked back at my graph and it falls off slightly around 6.5k rpm's....but I do mean slightly by like 5hp.

I have seen the dynos on these cars and the numbers arent exactly impressive when it comes to horsepower. Especially peak horsepower in the top end. Dont get me wrong, they are great cars and have plenty of power, but at the top end it doesnt pull nearly as hard as it does during peak torque.

Mine keeps making HP all the way to redline (tq is starting to fall off though), even the 2.5L did. SVT cams, P&P'd heads (oval port converted to split), functioning secondaries. Stock UIM and LIM.

You can see them both on this graph:

scan0004.jpg

Mine keeps making HP all the way to redline (tq is starting to fall off though), even the 2.5L did. SVT cams, P&P'd heads (oval port converted to split), functioning secondaries. Stock UIM and LIM.

You can see them both on this graph:

Yeah but you need to drive it in order use the ponies. :)

Back