• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3L build

Keep us posted on what pan to use. I have all three of those too, maybe a different escape pan.. not sure.

As far as the chains go.. if the timing is correct, the only problem I can see is a "grinding" noise upon startup until the oil pressure builds and pumps up the tensioner.

From what I understand from talking to the Ford dealer the part number I listed is the engineering part number while the number you listed is the service or parts department number. The E changes to a Z and the last suffix changes. Perhaps only the 04 - 06 escape pan works but I'm not sure. I'm going to use either the 99 2.5 or the 01 3L oil pan. The 2.5 seems to have better baffling but I don't know exactly what features to look at for the "better baffling".
I would reccomend the 2.5L as the 2nd choice, would not used 3L Pan TBH Call up Teamfordparts and see what they say, they will know what you are doing witht he swap, ect.

Not entrely sure what year my pan came off of. He said on the phone that they made a brand new revision in 2008, and thats the pan i was getting...

Keep us posted on what pan to use. I have all three of those too, maybe a different escape pan.. not sure.

As far as the chains go.. if the timing is correct, the only problem I can see is a "grinding" noise upon startup until the oil pressure builds and pumps up the tensioner.

Thats why you prime the oil pump first.

I would reccomend the 2.5L as the 2nd choice, would not used 3L Pan TBH Call up Teamfordparts and see what they say, they will know what you are doing witht he swap, ect.

Not entrely sure what year my pan came off of. He said on the phone that they made a brand new revision in 2008, and thats the pan i was getting...

Why do you not recommend the 3L pan? I assume your saying escape is first choice and 2.5L is second. I'll call Team Ford later today.

From what I have gathered on the escape pans. 01-07 is the same. 2008 was a change. 09-10 was a change to what I have. So I think 01-08 will work.

Right now I'm going to use the 3L pan unless the 2.5 is somehow better but I think the newer of the 2 would be better.

Links on oil pan info...
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?60584-Oil-pan&highlight=3L+oil+pan
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?55964-Escape-oil-pan&highlight=3L+oil+pan

Why do you not recomend the 3L pan? I assume your saying escape is first choice and 2.5L is second. I'll call Team Ford later today.

From what I have gathered on the escape pans. 01-07 is the same. 2008 was a change. 09-10 was a change to what I have. So I think 01-08 will work.

Right now I'm going to use the 3L pan unless the 2.5 is somehow better but I think the newer of the 2 would be better.

Links on oil pan info...
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?60584-Oil-pan&highlight=3L+oil+pan
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?55964-Escape-oil-pan&highlight=3L+oil+pan

On your 2nd link

Good work for choosing the Escape pan. That is my theory and I'm sticking to it. I haven't had a single client spin a rod bearing in well over 30 3L's, as I include the Escape pan on my dime for each and every customer. I do install the 2.5L pan on some customers who are really tight on a buget though (still use the newer Escape pick up tube as it bolts up without mounting bracket to windage tray issues). I have replaced 3L's that were knocking, and they all had Taurus pans. Coincidence? Maybe. Could be that the inital installer dug into the 3L in a dirty enviornment and ran some crud through the motor. Could be that a high mileage motor in rough shape was installed. Or, it could be that Ford designed the Escape/Contour pans and pick up tubes with a cant for a reason considering how the motor rests in these vehicles compared to the Taurus. Ford engineers might occasionally think! I know some of you call BS, but we have nothing to go with but by actual instances of experience. It would be way to costly to run some serious long term controlled tests; so I will agree with your choice and let others run their Taurus pans.

And any Escape pan you order from Ford will have the new integrated gasket... unless they dig up an old one way on the back shelf somewhere!

REebs

How's that?

Beans,

I don't see anything in the second link that says the 2.5 is "better" than the 3L. I'm talking performance, I know about the bottom bolt holes but that's not a concern.

Mike

Found a chunk missing on the intake gasket. It's over 30 day's so I can't do a standard return but Rock Auto is doing a warranty return.
IMG_1428.jpg

Alright, picked up the trans from Terry today. $352 for new 3rd & 4th gear synchro. I power washed the engine bay, powder coated the valve covers, TB & oil pan. Didn’t even want the oil pan powder coated, just sand blasted but the guy did it anyway. Also “optimized” the TB.
IMG_1478.jpg

Had to do a mock up when I got the parts back, if she doesn't work atleast she'll look good...
IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1464-1.jpg

Cold start

After she was warmed up

Can't wait to drive her. I need to replace the inner CV joint boot but can't get the damn axle out of the spindle! Tried heat, BP blaster and a hammer!

be careful heating that stuff. I've always had luck with an air hammer or a swift blow with a small sledge. I would replace the axle. They're like 50 bucks and you might as well if you go that far.

Let's see a finished pic!

That's exactly what I ended up doing. I borrowed a air hammer to get it out. The universal boot didn't fit anyway so I found a axle at napa for $60.

I took her for a drive a few times. Runs good. The rasp is bad though, I didn't expect it as I see in people's sig's that they have a similar setup. Headers, Y pipe with magnaflow resonator and basani cat back. It sounds absolutely great except for the rasp. So I think I need to get a high flow cat. I didn't get on it too hard but she pulls good. Feels good to drive her again after about 2 years!

That's great man! Glad to see it on the road with no issues. Good coating choice too, can't go wrong with "chrome"/"silver" powder.

Back