• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

$3,000 for a CD4E rebuild!!!

Watch the refurbished converter. They may be dealing in good faith with you, but converter 'rebuilder" may not rebuild them at all.
When they said they'd rebuild the converter, they added right away that it didn't mean they'd simply flush it. They said it would be a full proper rebuild.

Good deal. Sorry to seem so pessimistic, but the evidence I've found suggests strongly to always be that way. The converters I spoke of were GUARANTEED to be rebuilt, obviously not so to someone who will actually check that claim out. About the forward/direct drum, the stamping process that makes the part actually produces very tiny cracks in the part while it's being made. They can only get bigger as part is used and the snap ring gets slammed sideways against the land from clutch application. The new type cylinder that I finally ran across was made with apparently a somewhat different process. There were no pre-made cracks at all and the notch for snap ring looked much stronger. There are about 4-5 different drums too, I had much trouble finding the correct one, the grooves on both ends move all over the place depending on whether forward has a wave washer and the varying number of direct discs needed. All I ran across had the old style weak groove except the last one I found. The coast clutch piston changed height in there too somewhere, and the spring holding forward and coast pistons down did to match also.

I was just quoted $3,000 for a complete CD4E rebuild with an improved drum, valve work to reduce the pressure that caused the first drum to crack (common in the CD4E) and a new torque converter. 36-month guarantee and they toss you the keys to a loaner while they have your car. Without the torque converter, a little over $2,300. What do you think about that price? I'm already into them for almost $500 for the transmission removal and inspection. Also, they originally told me rebuilds range from $1,200 to $2,000. I checked with a local Cottman, and they said the price was insane and quoted me $1,500-1,800 for a complete rebuild (should be less because they'll be getting the car with the transmission already out). If it were you, would you have the car towed out of the first place and let Cottman finish it? Cottman doesn't have loaners, so I'd have to rent a car for a couple of days - plus the price of the tow.

Man, I hate this stuff.

just to give an idea of what it should cost maybe, back in 01 ford charged my warranty company 3300 to removal my dead atx (2nd and 4th gear synchros shot) and replace with a remanufactured atx...total was close to 4100.00 and i paid 800 out of pocket also having trans mount, waterpump and thermostat replaced (warranty also absorbed wp and thermo)

just food for thought

just to give an idea of what it should cost maybe, back in 01 ford charged my warranty company 3300 to removal my dead atx (2nd and 4th gear synchros shot) and replace with a remanufactured atx...total was close to 4100.00 and i paid 800 out of pocket also having trans mount, waterpump and thermostat replaced (warranty also absorbed wp and thermo)

just food for thought
The more I think about it, I'm not surprised that transmission rebuilds have gotten so outrageous - like pretty much everything else. What bothers me is that I was given a quote that turns out to be, according to the very person who gave me the quote, impossibly low.

Last edited:
I got the car back today, and so far it feels like they did a good job. The shifts are nice and smooth, and the transmission is the best I've felt it since I bought the car.

Back