• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

3.0 gas

well got the car the other day. finally able to drive it today after the clutch & throttle body were changed. & DAMN ur rite this thing is great. I LOVE IT. i can definetly see the difference between the 2. it has the Torsen LSD & it pulls so hard. thing is so fast. as i was coming home jumping on the highway gave it some gas & i was up to 120 b4 i knew it. car has some balls now. i dont think i would want to drive a stock 1 ever again.:laugh:

I have a port-matched 3L. I ran 93 octane for the entire 2.5L SVT engine's life; then ran 2 tanks of 93 with the 3L and then switched to 87 octane for 5 or 6 tanks before switching back to 93. Although there was no detonation (knocking), when cold I would get a hesitation between 1500-2000 RPM at light throttle. Consistently. I see comments about the SVT computer and 19lb injectors being "tuned" for 93 octane; I don't know what the reasons are for my car having had that issue but after switching back to 93 it went away. I also noticed the engine being a little more responsive to 93 octane - and per my butt dyno, had more power too.

If you drive 15,000 miles / year, average 22 MPG, and assume 93 octane is $0.30 more than 87, then you're looking at $200 / year more. If gas is averaging $3.00 / gallon, that's less than 10% of the cost of the gas ($2,045). If gas is averaging $4.00 / gallon, then it's even less of an impact overall ($2,730). How many of us spend $200/year on stupid stuff for our cars, much less everyday life? I'm only showing the numbers to display overall the impact so you can make your own assessment if it's worth it to you. For some reason, we all are overly price sensitive on gas.

Back