• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2.5 to 3.0

does anybody know if there is enough metal in the 2.5 liter block to bore it out enough to make it a 3 liter?

Why would you want to do this? It seems cheaper to just buy a 3L.....but I am pretty sure there is enough to bore it out. A 3L is physically the same size as a 2.5 on the outside.

Sounds like a boreing job har har har

If you have the motor...try it! Even if you dont make it to 3L, it would be cool to have a ~2.7L

to get a 2.5 to a 3.0 you would have to bore it 0.260" and that is alot of material so the 3.0 block was changed in the factory to allow for this larger bore rather than just boring out the 2.5. And to get to a 3.4L from a 3.0 you would have to bore 0.240" so thats not happening. Basically if you want more power from more displacement boring a block is not the answer. These days, with most engines, you don't want to go much farther than what is required to clean the cylinder enough to be used. If you want to increase displacement, increase stroke

isnt the 3l a bored out 2.5 though? and isnt the 3.5 npg block a bored out 3.0.
through transitive proporty 2.5=3.5
so i say go for it...you have nothing to lose anyways!

isnt the 3l a bored out 2.5 though? and isnt the 3.5 npg block a bored out 3.0.
through transitive proporty 2.5=3.5
so i say go for it...you have nothing to lose anyways!

no, the 3L is not "just a bored out 2.5". the factory 3L was a 2.5 block that had different cylinder sleeves installed to allow for the larger bore. there is not enough material in the stock 2.5L sleeves to allow you to bore it out to a 3L. the same goes for boring out a 3L, there is not enough material to get to a 3.5L. NPG is using an entirely new cylinder sleeve in order to get to the larger 3.5Ls. this is not cost effective on a 2.5L as you have to remove and replace the sleeves, which is far more work and money than just buying a 3L.

he did say his dad does this type of stuff. so i also assumed he would be able to put new sleevs in too. but from what it sounds like he wouldna wanna do it

the cost of the sleeves to be able to get to 3Ls is more than the cost of a good used 3L, even with free labor to install them.

from what iv been hearing noone can get a 3l under 1 grand . but i deffinatly think they havent searched enough.
if i was in his situation. ieven if it did some some more. id go ahead and go up to a 3.5. but thats me

A typical sleeve at our shop alone costs 100 dollars without labor. You would need six of these. Also those sleeve are used to bring it back to factory specs. If you want a larger bore you need special sleeves that are stronger so the engine is durable with a thinner sleeve. The basic block can still only be bored so much so the thinner and stronger sleeve is used to keep the durability and get more displacement out of it thats why NPGs 3.7 costs like 4000 dollars.

and also cuz nobodys done it before... that price isnt only cuz of the labor and parts

Well most of it the price is labor and parts, lets be honest... not a huge market out there for a 3.7L engine. So they most likely have it priced for as low as they can get it and still make a profit. You can get yourself a Noble 3.0L long block for around $4800. So you'd be hard pressed to buy a 3.7L short block for $4k.

I have had lots of "fast " rwd sports cars for less than 10 grand manual trans differentials than dont explode when you dump the clutch at five grand
still got 25mpg
and were fun because of RWD
If your gonna spend a pile of money get something rear wheel drive with a v8 no need for power upgrades .
Dont get me wrong i love contours i have had 4.They great for fuel mileage ,cheap price and for beating around town gettin groceries.

Last edited:
Back