• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2.0 rockers then SHM headers, or headers first, then rockers

2.0 rockers then SHM headers, or headers first, then rockers

• Headers first, then rockers

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Rockers first, then headers

Votes: 10 71.4%

• Total voters
While we are waiting, why don't you entertain us with pictures of those headers again :laugh:

When are you going to be installing the rockers or headers?

While we are waiting, why don't you entertain us with pictures of those headers again :laugh:

When are you going to be installing the rockers or headers?
You're in luck because I AM going to take more pics. I smoothed the merge in the Y-pipe - I just couldn't leave it the way it was. It looked like it was just an afterthought when they were being made... like they were almost done & someone said, "Oh yeah, we have to join these two pipes." Then someone else said, "just butt the one up to the other & weld it in place." :nonono:

I'm hoping to put the rockers in sometime within the next two weeks, (since they won the poll). Then the headers within two weeks after that.

at this rate ill have new rockers headers new trans the whole 9 yards and a dyno plot for it too before you crack your car open lol

just kidding man. i cant wait to see the gains

You're in luck because I AM going to take more pics. I smoothed the merge in the Y-pipe - I just couldn't leave it the way it was. It looked like it was just an afterthought when they were being made... like they were almost done & someone said, "Oh yeah, we have to join these two pipes." Then someone else said, "just butt the one up to the other & weld it in place." :nonono:

I'm hoping to put the rockers in sometime within the next two weeks, (since they won the poll). Then the headers within two weeks after that.

Sweet, the pics you posted last time showed a lot of detail. So take as much as you can :) I'll add them in the exhaust write up i'm doing.

Did you take any pics of this merge before you smoothed it out?

Did you take any pics of this merge before you smoothed it out?
Yeah, but my dumb ass didn't take one through the short secondary so you can't really get a good before & after feel. I took some pics this morning & added them all into my album on here.

Are you going to do the re-dyno at the same place with the only change being the rockers? I'm thinking this will be a small change and if its not at the same dyno w/ only one variable I won't trust the results. Its a great idea though, thanks for doing this.
-J

Are you going to do the re-dyno at the same place with the only change being the rockers?
Yes - we got a dynojet in the shop. :cool:

If I can wedge the timing chain in place and pull the cams leaving the front cover on, I'll get comparison runs with very little time in between.

Update - rockers installed. :cool:
Unfortunately, for some reason, the computer is over-compensating to the rich side for the added air... almost a half a point in some places. Consequently, my gains were not anything like I expected, I'm going to give it a few days for the PCM to make adjustments & see what the A/F looks like at the end of the week.

well i am deffinetly interested in this. i will be doing this when i pull my engine and trans to rebuild the trans. i may be switching to my 2.5 cams as well. i measured them next to 3L cams and they are the same from what i found.

Remember that the 2.5l cams are swirl type while the 3l ones are tumble. You'll probably get best results from matching your UIM to whatever cams you end up with. Also, the cam sprockets, chains, guides and crank gear are different between the 3l & 2.5l.

late model cougars switch to the same chain/chain pitch as the 3L.

also you can use the 3L guides and tensioners with the 2.5L chains.

but the cams, chains and crank gear all have to match.

Back