• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

18x7.5 rims / 225/40/18 tires, rub?

Project SVT

Veteran CEG'er
Well I've searched and haven't come acrossed alot of answers.
But from what I read was with some 18" x 7.5 rims with +42mm offset I need 8mm spacers to get them back to stock offset which i don't mind doing.
If this is incorrect please someone let me know.

So for that part being out of the way, I'm still running stock suspension. But sometime soon i'll be going to the BAT setup or just ksports. I have them on my probe and they are amazing.

But either way i go i will only want like 1.5" drop.

My question is if I go with 225/40/18 tires will i rub with stock suspension, or with the BAT susepension. I'm pretty sure i won't rub with ksports just because there's no spot for the spring to seat. I know i can get 215/40/18 but i just think that is to skinny of a tire. I run 225/40/18 on my probe and they are awesome. I just hate to buy all that stuff and it rub, especially with stock suspenion.

Anybody please give me your me your input as i'll be ordering my rims this comming week and my tires on friday.

Thanks

the spacers will push the wheel out further, effectively lowering the offset of the wheel. it'll be like having a 7.5" wheel with a 34et. i think that will have more potential to rub with the spacers than without. see if u can find others with 18x7.5 and whether they rub. compare their offsets.

try this
http://www.rims-n-tires.com/rt_specs.jsp

well the spacer thing is what i found on the forum and someone else did say they did. That is why i brought the spacer thing up in the first place.

and that first link doesn't really tell me, yes they will fit.
and the 2nd link it one thing i've looked at already but i don't want 215 tires cause well face it those are to small for the contour. i think 225 tires are perfect.

Now back to the original question.

225/40/18 tires on a 18x7.5 rim with a offset of +42mm
will that rub with stock suspension.
From what i was able to search and get was that the stock offset was +49.5mm (if he recalled)

So if that is the case, then would the 8mm spacers i brought up be what i need to make the offset back to stock spec?

otherwise the rim will sit to far in and rub.correct?

thanks for the help guys, hopefully i can get my question answered.

anybody else??

I really need to know comming here soon. Im ordering my rims on friday and then tires next.

I just need to know if 225/40/18 will fit on stock suspension with no rubbing..

thanks

not sure if anyone is going to give u a definite yes or no. using the first link that i posted to compare your wheel tire combo to the stock size:

Clearance: Package 2
Suspension 100% clear (leaves even more room than OEM)
Fenders Package will stick out 12 mm (0.5'') farther. Acceptable for most cars.
Wheelwells Will fill out the wheelwell by extra 8 mm. Acceptable for most cars.

so go look at your car and measure half an inch out from your sidewall now. look up and see if it'll clear the fender edge? the tires will also fill up your wheel well by 8mm. meaure 8mm up from stock tire, then from there 1/2 inch farther out from stock tire. are you past the fender edge? will u need to roll the fenders? visualize your fenders sitting 1.5 inches lower when u drop it? does it appear it'll hit the spot thats 8mm higher and 1/2 inch farther out? changing the offset to 34 (to show for the spacer, will push the wheel out 8mm, so your .8inches/20mm even closer to the fender)

I had 18X7.5 RacingHart C5's w/ 42mm offset and 225/40/18's on my stock suspended CSVT and had no rubbing.

SVT2.jpg

Last edited:
Im currently running 18x7.5 Enkei EVO6 w/ a +45 offset on 225/40/18 and I have slight rubbing going over bumps. But I believe this will be fixed once I get my suspension replaced because after 12 years, things begin to sag. :rolleyes:

Back