• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

150mph mondeo dash?

Gorman you don't need new gaskets unless they're in really bad shape. Some RTV is needed just in spots where the bolts go through. I changed my cams and went back to stock cams with reusing the gaskets and my car has 130k miles. Like I said, as long as they're in good condition, just need to make sure everything is clean, that you place the gaskets right, and just a little RTV in the appropriate spots. But if there is any question about the condition definitely replace them. The oil pan gasket is, atleast on my car, the most likely to need replacing because of how the timing cover sits on it, it tears easily. But to save from having to drop the oil pan, RTV to the rescue!

Gorman you don't need new gaskets unless they're in really bad shape. Some RTV is needed just in spots where the bolts go through. I changed my cams and went back to stock cams with reusing the gaskets and my car has 130k miles. Like I said, as long as they're in good condition, just need to make sure everything is clean, that you place the gaskets right, and just a little RTV in the appropriate spots. But if there is any question about the condition definitely replace them. The oil pan gasket is, atleast on my car, the most likely to need replacing because of how the timing cover sits on it, it tears easily. But to save from having to drop the oil pan, RTV to the rescue!
thanks for that. I've never had the timing cover off before..so i don't know what to expect. I've been using instant gasket with the UIM/LIMs and they've been fine. G.

be really carefull at the bottom so the oil pan gasket doesn't come with it.

the rtv held it to the timing cover and it ripped off on the 2.5 when I pulled it apart.

I slid a thin knife between the oil pan gasket and timing cover when I did the 3l so it would come loose easier.

Back